Need help with Legacy RW phone that won't activate

activation

I have a 1st gen Moto E which is on the Republic 1.0 plan.

When I switched it from the $5 WiFi only plan to the $10 WiFi plus Cell Talk & Text plan it would not activate on the Sprint network. After performing several factory resets, it no longer will work for WiFi calling or texting either.

I have opened 2 service tickets, numbers 1304350 and 1321431, but the technicians seem like they are unable to provide a solution that will actually fix the phone, so I’m hoping someone here might be able to offer some help.

I have discovered an issue with my phone which I think might be the cause of activation problem, so this seems to me to be the logical place to start: The MEID number has somehow been reset to all zeros. Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the MEID number to the correct number?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

@southpaw @louisdi @drm186

I am sure help is on the way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag, unfortunately, I’m not sure this is one the community is going to be able to solve. If work is already being done via ticket, I would suggest that it continue to be pursued there. The community can’t help resolve issues caused by bad MEIDs refusing to activate on the Sprint network. :frowning:

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag

3 Likes

Not sure anything can be done about a phone without a real MEID, you could ask Motorola if they have a way to reset this [though it my need root and these phones have locked boot loaders]
https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/android-series/moto-e?linkTrack=Homepage%3ABody_Search+Products

Hi @grampa,

There’s not a way to reset the MEID. That’s fatal.

First Gen Moto E… wow. Are you particularly married to that model? Not wanting to upgrade?

1 Like

I have 2 Moto e 1st Gen…CDMA. Both have a paper tag with number behind the battery. Yours most likely showing zeros cause of corrupted flash memory…

1 Like

Thanks for the link @curtish.x6psyo.

The solution that the help ticket people came up with was for me to buy a new phone. That’s why I posted here asking for help.

The phone is currently running KitKat 4.4.4.
There was an optional Lolipop update released for the 1st Gen Moto E.

My version of KitKat seems to be somehow corrupted, so now I’m wondering if I upgrade to Lollipop might solve the issue. At this point I don’t really have anything to lose by trying.

Is the Lollipop update still available? If so, how do I get it?

Question about How Service Tickets Work

Hi @grampa,

Updates usually remain available once they are released, but that zero’d out MEID may prevent the update from being delivered to your phone.

You can check by navigating to Settings > System Update > Update Motorola Software

I’m not seeing in your reply an answer to my question. Are you particularly interested in staying on the Moto E 1st gen for some reason?

1 Like

I get it. Unfortunately, this type of issue really isn’t one where there’s a creative solution. If the phone becomes corrupted enough to wipe the MEID, that spells the end of its life. :frowning:

2 Likes
closed #14

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer