Need recommendations for a new phone - roaming in Colorado, want a data plan and extra SD storage

I have a MotoX 1st gen and I love it but I want a $200/year plan which I can’t get with that phone, AND I need to roam in Colorado and the Moto X is not compatible with the roaming partners in my area.

So I’m going to upgrade. I want something with the option for an SD card for extra space

Suggestions? What are people happy with ?

If you just want a phone to talk, text, surf the internet, and play music, there’s nothing wrong with a Moto E6. Especially since it can be had for $99 direct from Motorola for a limited time. This is Motorola’s most basic smartphone, so it’s lacking in some of the processor, internal storage, and camera specs you find in their higher end phones.

You would also need to purchase a Republic Wireless SIM card (unless you purchase your phone directly from Republic Wireless). This particular SIM card will put you on the GSM network (T-Mobile), which actually might be better coverage in Burlington. Then again, it might not be better coverage. If it isn’t, you can request a CDMA (Sprint) SIM card:

Of course, it’s possible that neither Republic Wireless cellular carrier will be acceptable in Burlington, so you’ll want to try things out for a while before committing to a full year’s prepaid non-refundable plan. You’ll also want to pay attention to time limits for any return policy (check with Motorola regarding their return policy on the phone if you purchase from them).

3 Likes

My Choice plans include only voice roaming, where available. Roaming is not available for cellular data on the My Choice plan.

3 Likes

thanks, Southpaw.

Is the Nexus 6 I found on Swappa originally for AT&T going to work ?

If I root it first
so it’s no longer an ATT phone will the RW SIM card turn it into a RW phone ?

IOW, does this phone comply with the requirements for the ‘bring your own phone’ scenario ?

I understand that RW does not support rooted phones but is it possible for a rooted phone with a Republic simcard to work?

And most importantly (the whole reason for changing phones in the first place) will this rooted Nexus 6 (assuming it works on RW at all ) qualify for the ‘My Choice’ plan so I can get $200/ year and 1 gb/month data?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

it’s (roughly) the same vintage as the MotoX I’m replacing:
(per Wikipedia)

Compatible networks:
2G/3G/4G LTE, GSM: 850 / 900 /
1800 / 1900 MHz, Model XT1103 (Americas), CDMA band class: 0/1/10, WCDMA bands: 1/2/4/5/8, LTE bands: 2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/41, CA DL bands: B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29
First released:
November 2014
Discontinued:
December 9, 2015
Related:
Moto X (2nd generation) and Nexus 9

Hi @brucem.s6ifki,

An AT&T branded phone will not work on our network, even if rooted.

Even if you found a Nexus 6 compatible with Republic Wireless, you probably don’t want it. That phone is of such an age that it does not support all the cellular radio frequencies that carriers are using today.

UpThread here I listed the specs from Wikipedia on what freqs are supported:

2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850 / 900 /
1800 / 1900 MHz
Model XT1103 (Americas):
CDMA band class: 0/1/10
WCDMA bands: 1/2/4/5/8
LTE bands: 2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/41
CA DL bands: B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29

As far as you know, how does that stack up, or how can I find out how it stacks up? It’s all Greek to me.

Do I understand correctly the LTE technology is going away?

According to the seller, he followed the procedure I copied and pasted from the RW website: remove sim, download RW app, open app, phone says I need to buy a RW sim card, so it must be compatible… even though it had been used on AT&T, it must not be branded ATT , according to what you’re relating here.

The question is, will it support the My Choice $200/yr plan I want?

And as

u/cbwahlstrom

Asked, does it have all the frequencies I need/will need going forward?

At The moment, my phone status in settings says I’m on an LTE connection, and so does that mean I have to get a different sim card to use either a CDMA or a GSM Network ?

No. CDMA carriers are moving towards LTE. CDMA is going away. The Nexus 6 doesn’t have LTE Band 66 and 71 capability which is used by carrier T-Mobile. Get a newer phone.

1 Like

No. An LTE connection on that vintage phone is referring to the cellular data connection status. It just means you have a 4G LTE cellular data connection. There is no other SIM card compatible with your old Moto X, and the SIM card that is in your Moto X is incompatible with any other phone.

1 Like

thank you for patiently answering all these questions.

Is there a reference page you can point me to I could use to research this on my own?

[EDIT: nvm, found it:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/t-mobile-united-states

/EDIT]

Is there some reason you aren’t interested in the Moto E6 I mentioned in an earlier post? I’ve used $45 Android phones and I’ve used $700 Android phones. Sure, there’s a difference, but for 90% of the stuff I do every day it’s not that big of a difference in most cases. Maybe if you tell us what you’re looking for in a phone, and what you want to pay, we can come up with some suggestions.

" tell us what you’re looking for in a phone"

I want a technology buying experience that doesn’t drive me to drink. At this point I’m poking around trying to make sense of all the ins and outs. I try to see through the way companies set up commercial ecosystems for their benefit, not mine. Here is my tribe: https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/

I know someone who had a very successful business helping people integrate technology. They didn’t sell anything but their service in helping people make and implement wise decisions, and then get the most out of their purchase. People will pay for help to more easily make robust decisions. That’s why new ways of buying cars are becoming popular.

Modern life is so complex. When I was a boy in the hills in Western New York we had a ‘party line’ shared with neighbors; you said what you had to say and got off the phone. You had choices: you could have a phone, or not. You could have a phone that sat on a desk or hung on the wall, and it was black or beige. You didn’t even own the phone and it was illegal to mess with the wiring inside your own home. A Long Distance (capitalized ! ) call to or from my uncle in California was a big deal.

All the details here take a little time to make a smart decision and as far as I can tell, I haven’t found a website that treats the entirety of the decision making process the way I do. I want something that won’t go obsolete, will last, will be easily compatible with other technology like Android GPS apps, has a battery I can replace myself when necessary ( I did that with my Moto X), has decent daily battery life, strong enough signal, reliable roaming, and other things I’m discovering as I look into it.

I own a TomTom GPS. It runs on Android inside, a flavor of Linux, and would still be in use if I could just load ‘Darn’ Small Linux with some device drivers and an app from the Play Store, but because TomTom wants to sell me a new GPS, they have decided it’s ‘obsolete’. I’m not buying another TomTom. I’m going to download an app on my MotoX (when it’s retired from phone service) like Sygic or Here to give me both SATNAV and a dashcam in one unit.

I have a 1981 Mercedes 240D which is the most comfortable car I’ve ever been in. But the car was built around the heater, and now that’s it’s inoperative, I have to spend at least 40 hours disassembling the entire dashboard to fix it. Even so, the car is so reliable and excellent in other ways that taxi drivers picketed the factory when Mercedes decided to stop production. I LOVE that car. But all cars are somewhat like this one.

All cars could be made so that the entire dashboard with all the gear in it comes out in one piece after undoing the wiring connectors and removing 20 bolts, take maybe 20 minutes. Then you’d have nothing on the firewall but the heater core and the air conditioning evaporator, which would be easy to replace. Every electrical/electronic component is accessible by just turning the dashboard assembly over on the bench, nothing is buried behind anything else.

It would be no more expensive to build cars that way but it would make them much cheaper and easier to repair or replace parts, and that’s not in the interest of the car dealerships. They could make all cars and trucks so that all engines and transmissions are easily interchangeable, as well as all rims.

But they won’t, because companies want to lock you in to their ecosystem. All camera lenses could use the same mount - but they won’t, because Sony wants you to buy Sony lenses, same with Nikon, Canon, etc… Once you have all lenses from Nikon, you aren’t going to switch as easily when Sony comes out with a much better camera.

I have an Amazon Kindle and I’m going to sideload a different launcher so I can use the Google Play Store and get better apps than Amazon has, and disable all the Amazon bloatware.

I own several new $400 suits; I paid about $5 each at the thrift store. I own a $400 leather jacket I got in new condition with tags for $50 off craigslist, I carry a $700 leather briefcase I got for $500 off Craigslist. They’ll fight over it when I’m dead. ( https://www.youtube.com/user/saddlebackLeather ) I drive a 20 year old Toyota because it’s American made, and super reliable, and in the rare case I have to, I can work on it myself. Guy around the corner from me has a brand new $50,000 luxury car, the kind that’s low and beautiful, has real wide tires with narrow sidewalls. We had a storm a few months ago and he got hopelessly stuck in the middle of the street, in 8 inches of snow. I cruised right past him in my $600 Corolla with 4 studded snow tires (that I got new for half price off Craigslist and mounted on the rims myself).

Believe it or not, American farmers are being held hostage by the companies that sell them tractors. Farmers are fighting for something called The Right to Repair. The equipment is very complex technology. Farmers are resourceful and many are capable of doing the repair work but they have to fight for access to the software.

If anyone had a phone with zero bloatware, had encryption that blocked anyone but the intended recipient from understanding my communications and let me use social media completely anonymously, could boot from a removable medium if necessary for troubleshooting and installing new features (the way you can have a PC boot from a Linux thumb drive), had iron clad security features, didn’t track me with GPS and send all my data to the enormous NSA cybersecurity facility in the desert,, and all the other features I already described, I’d buy it.

"In light of the controversy over the NSA’s involvement in the practice of mass surveillance in the United States, and prompted by the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures by ex-NSA contractor Edward Snowden, the Utah Data Center was hailed by The Wall Street Journal as a “symbol of the spy agency’s surveillance prowess”.[https://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304441404579119490744478398]

But my decision making process is not that easy in this case because as far as I know, that phone doesn’t exist.

So I have to research the frequencies (after someone like you

tells me that’s what’s important),

and the providers and phones

which use them, and which phones are more reliable and easier to service. All technology is purchased and used in an ecosystem. I’m not going to just

plunk down my money on the first option I see.

I need to learn the ecosystem.

It’s a jungle out there.

I would probably just buy the E6. I didn’t see you list any specs like camera resolution, RAM necessary to run Fortnite mobile and Call of Duty simultaneously, or storage of a music library of every top 100 pop tunes from 1920-2019. Phones are largely disposable. The Moto E6 has all the LTE frequency bands necessary for today, but in a couple years there will be something else (like 5G, which only a few phones are capable of today). ■■■■ or get off the pot. You’re not marrying the phone, you’re just using it as a tool until it wears out, becomes obsolete, or breaks.

If you didn’t live in Colorado I would guess you were my older brother. I would imagine he hangs out with the same tribe.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has said that’s what is important. Republic has a short list of compatible phones: Http://bit.ly/RWAPhones There’s no need to bother with “frequencies” because that’s irrelevant unless you’re planning on buying something more than a couple of years old (as technology changes).

Yeah, I think we have a different thought process. Everyone has a different philosophy about tools. What a boring world if everyone thought the same. I may even buy the E6, who knows, but I am learning more about the options.

‘Get off the pot’ doesn’t apply; there’s no time deadline here. There’s a broad set of use cases and a broad range of optional solutions for all the needs. More options make for better decisions, but decision fatigue and the forest/trees problem must be managed, and leaping before looking is unwise when it’s unnecessary.

Yes, you’re right, I don’t care about the latest and greatest camera. I have real cameras, and even the camera in my Moto X is still fabulously better than any digital camera I owned previously, and still takes good pictures (like this one of the first person awarded Commercial Astronaut wings, in front of the plane he built and flew around the world in 1997). (I don’t know why I can’t see the photo, I click the green dot at the bottom but it doesn’t show up). A micro SD card will give me all the storage I need and I’m not a gamer.

I feel like an idiot if I buy something that wears out or breaks or doesn’t give me control or let me repair it or has no backward and forward and horizontal compatibility. In this ecosystem those values may be difficult to find. I don’t consider my phone a disposable even if others might, that’s why I bought a top of the line Otterbox to keep it from breaking and replaced the ‘nonreplaceable’ battery myself when it wore out and will continue to use it as a GPS/phablet.

Then there’s this:

It’s only 2 grand and only takes 6 months to ship. Ha ha ha. But I think it’s the wave of the future.

I don’t even think it will even come close to approaching the success of the Microsoft Zune.

3 Likes

AAHH the Moto X, what I would give to still have that phone. But sadly that was many, many phones ago! I am like you, the camera is/was great on that phone. I tend to like the Motorola phones, but they haven’t had a good one since the Moto X (within my price range). Maybe I need to search my junk drawer and see if I can find it…

Message an
Expert customer