NerdWallet - Not Valid US Number

I’ve run into this problem several times when trying to set up accounts linked to my cell phone. I tried this morning with the Nerd Wallet app, put in my cell phone number and got a big red box that says “This is not a valid US phone number. Please enter a mobile number supplied by a US phone carrier. Online phone numbers will not work.”

I wasn’t aware that my number was an online phone number.

Is there a way around this?

I don’t know of a way around this. Republic Wireless numbers are classified as VOIP numbers (same as Google Voice numbers, which also won’t work). Try contacting NerdWallet:

For questions about your NerdWallet account, you can contact support@nerdwallet.com and we’ll aim to respond within 48 hours.

It’s ironic that nerdwallet lists Republic Wireless as their best basic cell phone plan of 2018:

5 Likes

This is about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks so much for reaching out to NerdWallet! I’m happy to offer some insight into why you’re receiving this error when attempting to verify your phone number.

The error you’re seeing is likely occurring because you’ve provided a phone number for SMS verification that’s not from a traditional carrier. At this time, we’re not able to support phone numbers that come from wifi-based carriers (like Google voice or Republic Wireless). I totally hear the irony here, too! Republic Wireless is a great provider, but sadly our SMS system is not compatible with their network.

My recommendation is to use a friend or family member’s number that meets the criteria above if possible.

If you don’t have access to a mobile phone number that meets these criteria, I’m afraid you won’t be able to link your bank account to your NerdWallet account at this time. I’m very sorry about this, and we are working on finding some alternatives to SMS verification for our members who are in this situation.

If you have access to an eligible number to use, and run into any additional errors, please let me know! I’m also here to help for any other questions that may come up.

Best,
Shawn

as stupid as it is lots of companies do not trust VOIP numbers here a long thread about Venmo doing the same thing Republic Wireless and Venmo

The IRS also will not trust a VOIP (or any prepaid service as no background check is ever done prove ones identity) to put it in prospective SMS it’s self is unsecured even if from a Main carrier

Republic is a VOIP as it what powers the Hybrid WiFi 1st with Cell backup networks. Republic has always used WiFi and the VOIP service of it’s former parent company (Bandwidth) and current carrier partner (all Republic numbers are Bandwidth numbers)

To be honest, it might be a blessing. What do you really know about NerdWallet and how they will use your bank account info? I try to keep bank information independent. My bank app and website can supply information on how I’m allocating my money.

1 Like

I ran into the same problem with another provider. I solved it by using a Google voice number and forwarding that number’s calls to my Republic cell phone, which their system happily accepted. How funny that their system accepts what is essentially a phony number while refusing to accept my perfectly valid Republic phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer