Network carrier for 2.0 phones?

I currently have a Moto e 1st generation phone with RW. IS the carrier still Sprint with roaming on Verizon? Is there a way to purchase another phone that will stay on this network and not T mobile?

Yes, you’re 2.0 phone uses Sprint with roaming on Verizon. The only way to purchase a phone that will work in the 2.0 plans is used or “re-conditioned” through ebay, Amazon, or possibly another online seller. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. Republic has said they are working on an agreement with Sprint for their 3.0 plans. No definite date yet, but look through the community now and then…it’s a hot topic around here.

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

looks like CDMA will not be an option for BYOD and the GSM only phones* can not use CDMA

*Moto Z Family,Huawei Ascend 5W, Samsung Galaxy J3 and S6

Hi @waynes.z1j4g2,

Republic’s cellular partner for legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2) remains Sprint. Verizon is in turn one of Sprint’s roaming partners.

The situation with Republic 3.0 on CDMA is considerably more murky. The majority of Republic 3.0 phones use Republic’s GSM network partner for cellular coverage. A coverage map is here: Coverage Check | Republic Wireless.

There is an ongoing soft launch of Republic 3.0 phones on CDMA (Sprint) for phones purchased from Republic. There is no bring your own phone option for CDMA. Republic is being vague about which phones ship with CDMA coverage during soft launch. What I can say is my Moto X Pure is on CDMA. I also know of others using the Moto G4 and Moto G4 PLUS on CDMA. This is my personal experience not a guarantee. In the event you should end up with a phone that provides inadequate coverage, please consider opening a help ticket, so that Republic has the opportunity to work with you on that. Also, please keep in mind Republic offers a 14-day Money Back Guarantee.

Lastly some phones currently sold by Republic lack the needed hardware to work on CDMA networks. They are truly GSM only. These phones are:

1. Huawei Ascend 5W
  2. Moto Z
  3. Moto Z Play
  4. Samsung Galaxy J3
  5. Samsung Galaxy S6

drm186 wrote:

looks like CDMA will not be an option for BYOD

I believe it will be an option in the future for BYOPs and current compatible phones to switch from GSM to CDMA. Have not read anything official that would support your statement. There would be little point to 3.0 CDMA if RW doesn’t offer that option.

…

other than employee stating that they don’t know when or IF for BYOD CDMA https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/63840-republic-wireless-30-cdma-update?messageTarget=all&start=125&mode=co…

there apparently an issue activating CDMA with Sprint that needs the phone and SIM in the MVNO hands (even Sprint needs you to bring it to a corporate store for BYOD)

@drm186 ,

Reading a reply that Sprint requires taking a phone to one of their locations is all I’ve read to date. Sprint may have that requirement to get customers into their stores hoping to upsell them. Doubt there would be a RW remote activation issue that they can’t overcome. Time will tell.

…

Time will answer all questions, but there are many difference between GSM and CDMA that can lead to road blocks for CDMA BYOD, 1 is GSM SIM is link to the network and account and not the phone [the reason why all one needs to do to change phones on GSM is move the SIM to another approved phone I.e. no activation is need to change phones] where CDMA the it’s the SIM is linked to the phone and it’s the phone that’s linked to the network and account via the MEID of the phone [ the reason on 2.0 one can not just swap the SIM]

Also note Republic 3.0 SIM binds the underlying GSM number with the Republic number of the SIM, o d can only Believe this binding of the Republic number and the underlying CDMA number will be done on the phone.