Network changes? Newer Phone (Moto G Power 2020), GSM SIM, My Choice Plan

So - is my phone going to go dead in a month or two?

All I can say is I have heard absolutely ZERO from Republic. And ALL of the discussions I have read here on this forum have been unhelpful, at best. Down right confusing and even wrong and misinforming at the worst.

I’d expect Republic to be able to tell customers who are or will be affected by the shutdown that they need to do something prior to XX/YY/ZZZZ or face loss of service.

How difficult would that be? Since they can’t won’t or are otherwise unable, I have to assume only idiots work at Republic at this point.

Nope.

What would you like them to tell you, that there’s no change in your service and no date planned for changes?

Which they will do, and have done. You’re just not in that group.

Again, you’re unimpacted by any changes. What exactly were they supposed to communicate to you as to not be “idiots”?

4 Likes

Hi @timm.l2n5o1,

We’ll be in touch with those who are impacted by the coming changes to the networks we partner with.
For others who find themselves worried about the possibility of change, please be sure that the e-mail address associated with your Republic Wireless account is one where you actually receive mail and that you monitor it. Sometimes our members sign up with e-mail addresses like “myspamandjunk@whatever.com”, and then they never see the important e-mails we need to send them.

It’s great that you already know you have a GSM SIM card. The network associated with that SIM card is not planning to go away in the next few years.

Are there any other, specific questions you have?

The confusion stems from many sources claiming 4G LTE is also going away in a few months. I believe that is what my GSM phone runs on. Here’s the blurb in question.

T-Mobile has listed the dates for shutting down Sprint’s 3G and 4G LTE networks, and migrating people to modern broadband speed pastures. These are January 1, 2022 for Sprint’s 3G network sunset, and June 30, 2022 for the 4G LTE connections, respectively.

And here:
T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint 2G/3G/4G LTE network shutdown dates: the sunset!
T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint 2G/3G/4G LTE network shutdown dates: the sunset!

Since carriers rarely do things in a vacuum, I expect other 4G LTE carriers (AT&T, Verizon, UScellular) will follow suit in short order.

It’s the FUD factor: Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt.

So that it’s clear for others reading here, what T-Mobile is talking about is shutting down Sprint’s 4G LTE network as of June 30, 2022 because Sprint as a separate entity no longer exists (it was merged into T-Mobile last year. In theory, T-Mobile will use the spectrum it acquired with Sprint to enhance its own 4G LTE and 5G networks.

No still existing U.S. carrier will be shutting down their 4G LTE networks for the foreseeable future.

All U.S. carriers are scheduling shutdown of their 2G and 3G networks for various times during 2022.

5 Likes