New phone recommendations from moto x 2nd to what phone?

I am looking for an upgrade and so confused and the more I read the more confused I become. I love the size of my moto x 2nd gen and do not want to go bigger. I was looking at moto 5 but read it is not available in the USA. I use my phone for business; just calls and text and pictures. I use my PC for everything else.

Any suggestions?

The Moto G5+ is available through RW if that is something that might interest you…it is not that much bigger than the G5

and looks like a good overall phone at a reasonable price point.

The Moto G4, G4 Play, and G5 Plus are very similar. You probably wouldn’t notice the difference between them. The G4 and G5 Plus would feel faster compared to the X2. The G4 Play about the same as the X2. The cameras are similar on the G4 and G5 Plus. The G4 Play camera will look similar to the X2.

My only recommendation is that if you plan to keep it for a long time you choose the G4 or the G5 Plus with 32g storage. Or anything with at least 32g storage. The price difference is so small.

Check all three out here:

Motorola Moto G4 Play vs. Motorola Moto G4 v. G5 Plus - GSMArena.com

You can save $20 or more by getting one through Swappa.

Moto G4 Play: https://swappa.com/buy/moto-g4-play-unlocked

Moto G4: https://swappa.com/buy/moto-g4-unlocked

The Swappa price here is not much better:

Moto G5 Plus: https://swappa.com/buy/moto-g5-plus-unlocked

I can personally recommend the Moto X Pure 2015 (I have been using since 2016) and you can get one for $185 right now instead of $299 from Republic:

https://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-pure-edition-2015-unlocked

If you go the Swappa route you will need to buy a new Republic 3.0 sim card:

Bring your own phone to Republic! | Republic Wireless

agree with the moto x pure edition

In my opinion, the Moto X Pure is relegated to a “has been” by the Moto Z Play and, to a lesser extent, the Moto G5 Plus. The Pure is not obsolete. Though it may be perfectly adequate for most users, the Pure just doesn’t have the processing power and speed that the Z Plus and G5 Plus have. The new phones have better batteries and more horsepower. The don’t really give up anything (except NFC on G5) to the Pure, but add more power and better battery life.

In my opinion, the Z Play is the obvious update phone for a X2 replacement, with the G5 Plus coming in second by a slim margin. The deciding factor between the two would be budget considerations and what kind of T-Mo coverage the user has in their stomping grounds.

What is NFC? Is it important? Considering the G5 Plus. My moto x 2nd is 1 GB and it seems adequate for me… Is there any advantage to having more GB?

NFC = Near Field Communication and is mainly used for Android Pay’s tap and pay function (though other functions can also programmed for it but most don’t use this function)

the Moto X 2nd had 2 GB of RAM and came in both 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage

the Moto G4 Play has 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage

the Moto G4 has 2 GB of RAM and came in both 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage

the Moto G5 Plus has 2 GB of RAM 32 GB of internal storage or 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage

the RAM is used for processing software code and the more you have the faster the phone may feel (though 2 GB is enough more than enough for most users)

internal storage is the amount of space to store the software and media you have (including the OS and preinstalled apps) with the OS section growing as fast as it is I would not look to get a phone with less than 32 GB unless it’s a budget phone that will not be using many apps on

edit to add

when you say 1 GB do you mean you have the 1 GB Refund plan ($25 - unused data refund) the new phones can not uses that plan there is still a 1 GB plan for $20 but no refund and if you didn’t run out of data before you should be find on the 3.0 1 GB plan

@drm186 **YES that is what I have **and never gone over and always get a refund, will miss that aspect. I work from home so almost always use WIFI

Basically I use the phone, text and camera and maps when away (rarely) from home. Most things are done on my PC desktop.

Nothing wrong with my motox 2nd but hubby’s moto x 1st needs to be replaced so he will get my old phone (he hardly ever uses the phone but to call me when he is doing errands.)

If HE could find an old dial up phone to carry, he would be very happy.

Sucks to be old!

Message an
Expert customer