New phone to replace a dead Moto X2

So I am looking at MotoG 6 Not looking to spend a lot. Any suggestions beside the G6? Phone is not used a lot

0 Likes

I would also looking at third party seller of compatible phones
there some good deals on the old Moto X4, Moto Z2 Play at B&H and Motorola’s site, there also the Moto G7 Play from Motorola sitte
B&H Moto X4 $149(32GB)/$199(64GB)
Mototolas site Moto X4 $149(32GB)/$199(64GB)
Motorola Z2 Play for $199 (make sure you get the unlock 64GB version)
Motorola site Moto G7 Play

all the above would need a Republic BYOD SIM

2 Likes

Do I need to get a sim card from RW?

0 Likes

yes as the SIM in your legacy Moto X2 is not compatible with the newer phones https://republicwireless.com/shop/bring-your-own-phone/
the cost is $5+$4 shipping
Amazon also has Republic’s BYOD SIM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J63NYAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_uaVXybJF5YEYZ
Amazon current cost is $7.99 and Prime shipping

2 Likes

Honestly, right now, the deal on the Moto X4 at Motorola ($149) is REALLY hard to beat for the quality of the phone.

5 Likes

I order the G7 from Motorola ($214.00 w/taxes) and the sim card and a case on Amazon (I am a prime member)

0 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

This may seem like an odd question but would you mind sharing your zip code? The coverage provided on the bring your own Republic SIM you purchased at Amazon will be different from that you had on your Moto X2.

Different doesn’t mean worse. For most, the alternate coverage is equivalent. For some (like me), it’s better. For a few, it’s not as good. Sharing the requested zip code, if you’re comfortable with that, will allow us to provide further insight.

2 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

I have updated the thread title for clarity.

My wife just upgraded to a G7…she is very happy with that choice.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

According to Republic’s coverage check tool, the alternative coverage will work for you. You may see for yourself here: 4G LTE + WiFi for the Best Cell Phone Coverage | Republic Wireless

1 Like

In simple terms

Your new G7 is going to work on T-mobile while your old X2 worked on Sprint.
If you know for a fact that T-mobile coverage is not good in your area…then you will be better served by cancelling your order for the G7 and instead select a phone such as the X4 or G6 which is capable of either T-mobile or Sprint.

Eventually the G7 will also be able to work on Sprint…but there is no timeline available for that at this time.
Towards the bottom of this announcement it is noted that G7 only supports the GSM (or Tmobile) SIM card

1 Like

Wife had to get a new sim card for her G5 Plus, a CDMA card. The link does show it will work in my zip code but I want to be sure

0 Likes

Is the link I used to buy the Sim. Says it is a CDMA card

0 Likes

I dont see anywhere where it says its a CDMA card.
That is 100% GSM. All BYOP sim cards are GSM.
You can only get a RW CDMA SIM card from RW support directly.
(or sometimes if you buy a phone from RW online store and they send one with it)

0 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

The standalone bring your own SIM sold by Republic is GSM. Further complicating things, for now, is Republic is only able to provide GSM coverage on the Moto G7. That’s expected to change eventually, however, my understanding is not before sometime this summer.

If you know you need CDMA (and your wife’s experience trumps a coverage map for me), you’ll want to consider one of the phones listed here: What 3.0 Phones Are Compatible with CDMA Service? – Republic Help.

Rather than purchase Republic’s GSM SIM, you may then follow Republic’s guidance here: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help.

2 Likes

Wait a minute are you saying the Moto 7 I bought from Motorola will not work with the CDMA card

0 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

For now, that is correct. While the G7 is hardware compatible with CDMA as well as GSM networks, Republic is not yet able to offer CDMA coverage on the G7.

This was the reason I asked for your zip code. Based on Republic’s opinion of GSM coverage in your area I advised GSM coverage would work for you. If you know Republic’s opinion of GSM coverage in your area to be questionable and prefer (or need) CDMA, the G7 isn’t a good choice at this time. It’s possible GSM coverage has improved since your wife’s experience, however, one would need to try it to see. For what it’s worth, Amazon does generally have a 30-day return privilege on purchases.

3 Likes

Sorry I sent the last email in error

0 Likes

Help before I pull out the rest of my hair. I talked to Motorola and they insist it will work. She said it takes a Nano sim card? What is that and I may have confused the issue because it is a G7 Play.
It is â– â– â– â–  being older and easily confused!

0 Likes

Hi @richardh.o3elaj,

Please stop pulling out your hair. :slightly_smiling_face: In this case, Motorola mostly has it wrong. While they are correct, the G7 series takes a nano SIM that refers only to the size of the SIM not the coverage attached to the SIM. Both GSM and CDMA SIMs come in nano size.

The reality is right now Republic doesn’t have a CDMA SIM to offer for the G7 series. There are currently three mutually incompatible CDMA SIMs, Republic uses for various supported phones. None of those currently will work in a G7 series phone.

Republic is working diligently with its CDMA network partner to provide a SIM compatible with the G7 series. One day (anticipated to be this summer) it will happen but today is not that day.

Putting coverage aside for the moment, GSM as technology makes better use of SIMs. Unlike CDMA, there’s only one flavor of GSM SIM. That’s why Republic is able to support GSM on the G7 series today but not CDMA.

2 Likes

Message an
Expert customer