New Phone / Upgrade and Existing Phone Deactivation

Upgrading to a new Republic Wireless Phone

I would like to purchase a new G5. Will my current Republic G4 automatically be deactivated when I activate my new G5? Is there anything else important to know in upgrading to a new phone?

Thanks.

That depends. If you elect to transfer your current RW phone number to the new phone, the old one will automagically be deactivated. If you choose a new number, you will have to deactivate your old phone manually.

Hi @davidn.uuvwjq

Yes, your G4 will automatically deactivate when you activate the G5 to an existing service line.

(Edit: Regarding the SIM card, it would be important to know where each phone was/will be purchased and which network (CDMA/GSM) you are currently on. SIM cards cannot be reactivated at this time, so we may need to clarify some things to avoid any mishaps).

You may want to allow Google to backup your Contacts, Photos, Apps, Calendar, etc. Then when you sign into that Gmail account on the new phone that data will migrate to that device. For text message conversations, you will need a third-party app. Many of us use SMS Backup & Restore - Android Apps on Google Play but there are many others to choose from in the PlayStore.

See here for step-by-step instructions for activating your new phone.

Activate My Phone

Feel free to reply if you have additional questions or would like more assistance.

Like davidn.uuvwjq, I am upgrading from my current RW phone to a new RW phone.
According to the verbiage about the phone (Moto Z Play), it comes with its own SIM card, so I assume I will not have to worry about an SIM card issues.
I want to keep my same phone number. Is that an option? And, at what point in the process of ordering and receiving the phone do I indicate I want to keep my current number?
Thank you.
Lenore

Hi @lenorem,

If you ordered the Moto Z from Republic, it will be shipped with a SIM card.

You can keep the same number. This occurs during activation of the phone. You will be prompted to sign into your Republic account. To upgrade an existing line to a new phone, select “replace existing line”. You should see the phone number you want to replace listed at this step. For further details see:

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer