New phone-We want to buy a new phone that is compatible with CDMA

We want to buy a new phone. We have Motorola but want to change. We don’t want Google ones. We would like an inexpensive one that is good and will last a while. Price range under $300.00 per phone.

Hi @joh.4f0rhs,

There are no new phones on our supported list that are neither Moto nor Google and able to be activated on our CDMA network.

Total bummer.

How about 2020 phones?

Hi @joh.4f0rhs,

The 2020 Samsung Galaxy, A11, A21 and A51 are both Republic and CDMA network compatible, so long as you acquire the model(s) specified by Republic.

The current Samsung Galaxy S21 is also both Republic and CDMA network compatible, however would be well above your $300 budget.

2 Likes

Hi @joh.4f0rhs,

Are you currently experiencing problematic coverage?

Is there a reason you feel the phone you buy now needs to be compatible with our CDMA network? I ask because T-Mobile has announced a timeline for shutting down that network, and I don’t want you to making a long-term purchasing decision based on something that may not be around for much longer.

4 Likes

Which phone is the best?

1 Like

I checked our zip code with the other network and the connection was fair.

2 Likes

Are you currently experiencing any problems? You can check to see if your SIM card is “GSM” or “CDMA” by following these instructions.

2 Likes

In terms of Samsung’s Galaxy A11, A21 and A51, it is good, better, best respectively.

That said, I concur that before making a purchase decision it would be best to establish whether CDMA coverage is actually a need. Maps are approximations, reality on the ground is far more important.

2 Likes

We have GSM. The coverage map says fair signal. Maybe that explains why it takes a while for the phone to ring on our end. We also have other issues.

1 Like

here is the latest from T*mobile on the CDMA shutdown:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

They claim their GSM (4G/5G) network will get better as they retire the older tech.

2 Likes

My wife and I both have Moto phones on the CDMA network. They can support the GSM network with a new Sim card. Will we automatically receive new sim cards before the CDMA shut off date>

Hi @waynes.z1j4g2,

Candidly, Republic hasn’t yet said what the plan is for members with phones provisioned for coverage with its CDMA network (a/k/a Sprint’s legacy network). That said, I’m confident there is a plan and that Republic will communicate that plan at the appropriate time. It is, after all, in their business interest to do so.

Please note, T-Mobile (who now owns Sprint’s legacy network) has said it will shut down the 2G and 3G portion of Sprint’s legacy network on March 31, 2022. The LTE portion of Sprint’s legacy network isn’t scheduled to be shut down until June 30, 2022. Though these dates draw closer each day, there is still ample time for Republic to let us know what the path forward will be.

Thanks Roland, guess I’ll just sit tight and see what the future holds.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer