New Phones Not Optimized for my Area

I currently have two Moto G Plus (4th gen) phones on my plan. My address is 43337 zip, but I live closer to 43302. When I search for new phones, it only lists the G4, G5 Plus and the Galaxy S7 with zip code 43337. But if I change it to 43302 it lists many phones which shows good coverage at my home…

I see the Galaxy J3 is GSM only, do I connect with both GSM and CDMA with my current phone? Is that why the J3 is not recommended in the 43337 zip? When I travel I do experience a lot of dead zones with my current phone, but do just fine in town.

Should I avoid the J3? I’m trying to keep the cost down. I have an old Moto E (2nd gen) I just activated as a wifi only because with a data plan it costs more than my current newer phones.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

This will show your GSM coverage:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

This will show your CDMA coverage:

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

RW phones will not do GSM and CDMA at the same time. They have to be configured for one or the other.

The phone you are shipped is supposed to be optimized for the last ZIP entered prior to ordering.

This chart tells you a lot about the phone’s capabilities:

How can I determine if my current phones are set up for GSM or CDMA?

If you have an older Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2, these are ALL CDMA activated only.

If you have one of the newer phones, please try this on your phone:

1. Launch the dialer as if you were going to make a call.
  2. Tap the numeric keypad icon.
  3. Dial *#*#786#*#*

What does your phone do? Does the screen just clear or do you get a SprintDM screen?

Since you have two Moto G4+ they can be configured for either GSM or CDMA. If you discover they are GSM and the maps indicate you would be better served by CDMA open a service ticket and ask RW support if they can switch them for you.

One weakness of the coverage checker is it checks for coverage in only 1 ZIP code, In my ZIP it recommends CDMA but in areas I frequent GSM works much better. This is why I linked you to the coverage maps. At home I have adequate WiFi so the weak GSM signal isn’t an issue.

The J3 will only work on GSM.