New phones on the way?

This is all speculation and I know I won’t get a definitive answer, but I hope that I’ll get some type of useful response.

Since this was announced Moto G PLUS (4th Gen.) and Samsung Galaxy S6 Availability Update

we’re no longer selling these phones

Which really disappointed me because I was getting ready to purchase the G4 Plus from Republic because I am in an area with better CDMA coverage. However, I was curious does this mean (and I know this can’t be answered directly) are new phones coming to Republic soon? By soon, I mean like with in the next month or two, not 6-8 months from now.

I’m just wanting to see a glimpse of light from the end of the tunnel, not the entire view from there.

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

with the 3.0 unlocked phones there no real reason that Republic needs to wait for phones

the S6 is a 2 year old phone and Samsung is most likely just stop making them (to ramp up the upcoming S8 in April, (I expect an U version (north American Unlock) soon after launch and bet Republic will carry it.

the Moto G4 Plus may also be phased out as Motorola/Lenovo has announced the Moto G5 and G5 Plus (Motorola has made mostly unlock version recently (Droid line are the exceptions, I hope the Moto G5 / G5 Plus will have CDMA radios)

(though I wish Republic said the Moto G4 Plus sale was a closeout and that they did not have supplies to last the full sale period) (makes me wonder if the same is going to be true for the Moto G4 32 GB, Moto G4 16 GB and the Moto G4 Play

The Moto G5 plus has both radios according to the specifications on the Motorola web site.moto g plus (5th gen.) - unlocked Android smartphone | Motorola, a Lenovo company

@benjaminf.haklmn Republic has a long history with Motorola. So expect to see the Moto G5 available as soon as it is released by Motorola.

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn,

As others have mentioned, Republic has a historical relationship with Motorola. I, too, would expect Republic to offer the G5 Plus. According to what I’ve read, the G5 unlike the G5 Plus will not be released in the U.S. Motorola really hasn’t announced anything that might replace the G4 or the G4 Play. We’ll see what develops on that.

Likewise, I expect Samsung to wind down any production of the S6 (if that hasn’t already stopped) in anticipation of the S8’s release. Traditionally, Samsung continues manufacture of the previous year’s flagship (S7) simultaneous to release of this year’s flagship (S8). Traditionally, Samsung has not released North American factory unlocked variants of this year’s flagships simultaneous with release of carrier branded variants. Perhaps it will be different this year but typically carrier branded variants precede factory unlocked variants by a number of months.

Lastly, Republic continues support for both the G4 plus and S6 as bring your own phones, though BYOP is currently limited to GSM coverage (not an issue with the S6 as it’s GSM only anyway).

Lastly, Republic continues support for both the G4 plus and S6 as bring your own phones, though BYOP is currently limited to GSM coverage (not an issue with the S6 as it’s GSM only anyway).
I have a hard time telling people to bring a S6 as a BYOD due to most SM-G920T found are T-Mobile version and not the North American Factory Unlocked that Republic requires and it can be nearly impossible to check the software builds until the phone inhand

It’s a conundrum, however, specifying Samsung’s manufacturer’s SKU SM-G920TZKAXAR gets the job done as well. Still available for sale on Samsung’s site: Galaxy S6 32GB (Unlocked) Phones - SM-G920TZKAXAR | Samsung US.

most people looking to BYOD have been looking for deals on used phones where it’s not so easy to tell

also I don’t feel the S6 will be found new anywhere in a short time (I do feel it’s going out of production and that’s why Republic will not be getting a restock)

It’s unfortunate that Samsung chose to recycle the TMO carrier branded model rather than create a unique model number as was done with the S7s. I do appreciate many folks interested in the S6 are looking for a bargain. When bargain hunting, it is my opinion, one need be willing to accept some level of personal responsibility in being certain one is getting the right thing.

A seller ought to be able to verify manufacturer’s SKU. If the phone is used, verifying build for a potential buyer is hardly an insurmountable road block.

It would have been nice if Republic would have at least announced that their stock was low on the G Plus and it wouldn’t be replenished… I actually didn’t know about the G5 Plus until today, so I may wait for that one. Can anyone find a release date for the US Version, all the info I find is rather vague.

Rumor is April.

Yes, Republic has had a good relationship with Motorola. I assume that it has continued that way since Lenovo bought them from Google a few years back.

Here’s hope my 1st Gen Moto G will hold up until Republic gets the Moto G5 Plus, and hopefully that doesn’t take too long.

April? Can I ask where the rumor is from? I have tried finding any clue about availability dated and can’t find anything.

Is the April you reference general delivery or Republic Wireless?

Chris

It’s the seeming consensus of opinion of what I’ve read on the Internet as far as release to market by Motorola, which is why I characterized it as rumor.

Historically, as I believe you know, Republic tends not to pre-announce new phone availability. I’ll point out the G4 and G4 Plus were available at Republic’s store simultaneous to Motorola’s U.S. launch. This is the beauty of no longer needing to modify Android to make phones work with Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service.

Presuming Republic supports the G5 Plus (likely in my opinion), I don’t see a reason it will be different but that’s speculation on my part. Speculation is all one is going to get here in Community.

out the G4 and G4 Plus were available at Republic’s store simultaneous to Motorola’s U.S. launch
this is close to true but off by about 2 weeks (the Moto G4 and G4 plus where launch mid July 2016 and Republic 3.0 was launch 7/28th about a 2 week difference

I do believe the only reason they where not launch at the same time was due to 3.0 not being online yet

I do believe the only reason they where not launch at the same time was due to 3.0 not being online yet.
In this case, semantics.

If I recall, rw announced support but only took orders which ultimately took another four weeks, I’d that correct?

I think we can all collectively agree that new phones are on the way. Republic has stated numerous times that they are “actively working on adding devices to the BYOP program” (or something similar to that). Now, which phones are coming only Republic knows about. We can only speculate as to which ones those are .

Message an
Expert customer