New! Quickly Block Unknown Calls from the Republic Wireless App

rw_app_update
outdated

Love the blocking feature, keep up the good work

It could be a Republic specific issue. Are you saying that Republic tags all outgoing calls with the caller’s name, as Catherine requests? Or are you saying that Republic plays the same silly game as other carriers in masking a caller’s identity, perhaps even inserting a fake area code or a fake name if that is what the caller asks RW to do for their phone?

the Phone system (not just Republic but all phone carriers) does not allow any carrier to send names just the number this is what is known as caller ID, the receiving carrier is the one that adds names (city/provider) base on the lookup tables, Republic will push out what the in the tables from Bandwidth (Republic’s VOIP Provider) side but it is up to the receiving to updated their tables and determine what to display (which can range to just the number or other information listed in the tables

Republic does not fake the phone number (which includes the area code) as for fake name if the user request a number to listed as a name Republic will publish it as the account holder wants (Republic has no way of knowing who is the end user is as there nothing stopping me for opening an account in my name but having my Mother in law be the only phone on the account

How so?

No phone company does so. It’s not how things work. See here: CNAM (Caller Name) 101.

The only thing Republic sends is one’s Republic telephone number. Please see the post linked above to understand why what one sees on the receiving end might be different. No games (silly or otherwise) being played here.

Was this new feature finally released on Google Play? Do not see the update on Google play. I am using XT1526.

Hi @dmitrik,

The Moto E (2nd Gen) uses our Republic Wireless 2.0 app rather than the 3.0 version, and because it uses a different Android version, it does not include this feature. You might find some useful ideas in: How to block unwanted calls and texts.

Version of App was not even mentioned before. The feature seems device independent.
Another trick to push existing customers to more expensive plans.

It’s not. It’s Android operating system dependent. Republic is leveraging a feature built into Android 7 (Nougat) and later. Your Moto E2 runs Android 5 (Lollipop), which lacks the needed feature.

Not at all.

Do you use this app? I’m looking for an app that stops blocked callers from going to voicemail.

vickih.geimxh,
So far Mr. Number has been the best at blocking unwanted calls but it’s not perfect. I still can get blocked calls going to voicemail. I don’t think you are going to find any app that blocks that from happening. I’ve tried several and none of them work and were worse at blocking calls in general.

What’s weird is that new spam calls look like their from my area code or even close to my number. It’s not as easy and this person lives far away and I wouldn’t be getting a call from them anymore. They’re usually different numbers too. But anything that helps is good news.

That’s quite common, it is know as Neighbor Spoofing:

You should not block spoofed local numbers because the person sending the spam does not own it, or use it more than once (usually) – the number you are blocking is a real local number that could belong to a local business, a friend or neighbor, or may even be your number (because the last four digits of the spoofed number are chosen randomly).

I don’t believe there’s a universal truth here. My experience with local numbers being spoofed is there are times it’s a one-off and other times not so much. While I’m fully aware the folks owning the number may not be the source of the problem; if I know those local numbers do not belong to someone I’m likely to need to communicate with, I might very well block them.

Same here. It seemed that every time I blocked a call, two (or more) would come through in its place. If I just ignored them, the number of spam calls decreased.

It doesn’t sound like this new feature will help much.

Please add the ability to use pattern matching to auto-block. Include PCRE support as well. This would make a nice feature perfect and bullet-proof.

This functionality is being replaced by the new automated spam blocking.

How will the auto blocker deal with the high volume of foreign calls spoofing Texas numbers?

Hi @chris.nqdwj9j,

You can still use the Android call-blocking function from the dialer menu. The RW app just won’t prompt you for it any more.

The new feature will block calls from numbers that have proven to be spam numbers. If the callers you referenced are frequently changing their number, they may not be included in the blocking feature.

Hopefully between the two functions, you’ll be able to drastically reduce the number of spam calls you are receiving.

All of that is nice. But…

My phone is running 7.0 and receives an average of two to four spam calls from TX per day. The call originator is spoofing the CID with a different TX number every time. 98%+ are using a 214 area code. The RW app misses every single one of them. None of these calls is blocked, routed to VM, or otherwise intercepted. My phone’s block list has hundreds of these numbers on it simply because the call originator never uses the same number twice. (Which permits them to escape violating the national “do not call” laws… even if one could prosecute call originators located in the Orient.)

Unfortunately, none of RW’s current solutions correct this problem.

One solution which would correct the problem would be to allow the user to add “filters” to the call block application. The best option would be to allow it to use regular expressions. This would permit the user to construct a filter to, say, block all numbers from area code 214. (Yes, I realize that Publisher’s Clearing House may use a 214 number to notify its “winners,” but that’s a risk I’ll take… :grin:)

Until such a solution is implemented, generic “do-not-call” list checking, “spam” list checking, etc. will fail with this sort of scenario every time.

This solution would be very similar to blocking blocks of IP addresses at a firewall. And I would think it would be trivial to implement in RW’s current blocking application.

How to Stop Unwanted Spam Calls