New RW Google Pixel 4a - Volume down button stuck

Hi there, I’ve bought and just received a RW Google Pixel 4a. Whenever I press the sound button to adjust the volume downward, the button sticks in that position, bringing the volume all the way to mute. Looks like this could be a manufacturing issue. Have others had similar experiences? Not a great thing for a brand new phone. Thinking about returning it. Thank you.

Hi @jeanbaptistep.9negx7,

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with your new Pixel :slightly_frowning_face:

Here is a help page for Republic’s Warranty information.
You have a 14 day return/exchange on your Republic phone.

Thank you. I have already activated the Google Pixel 4a. When returning the Pixel, is there a way I can reactivate my old RW moto and transfer the phone content back from the Pixel to the moto? Thank you.

All the phones we sell are backed by a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. This is different from the 14-day money-back guarantee which is meant to allow members a chance to determine whether they like the phone or not.

For a phone where there is a question of a manufacturer’s defect, we would encourage you to contact the manufacturer about a warranty replacement or open a Help Ticket in our Help Center. If you simply return with no communication with our Help Team to let us know it was received defective, your refund could be affected by fees for damage.

The answer will depend on what kind of phone it is and how long it has been deactivated.

No content “left” the Moto simply by activating the Pixel. Unless you factory reset the phone, it’s all still there.

3 Likes

Thank you. I am confused. RW sold me a phone and it has a defect. Why would RW not take responsibility and refund the phone? What is the implication of reaching out to the manufacturer? The point is, I expect to receive a new phone that’s not defective.

Regarding reactivating my moto, I deactivated it a few days ago when I received the Google Pixel 4a. How can I deactivate the Pixel and reactivate the Moto?

Also, whatever new contacts I entered in the Pixel, and text messages received since I activated it, won’t be in the moto, correct? Hence my question regarding what I can do to get the new data from the Pixel to the moto. Thank you very much,

My point was primarily to clarify that returning the phone under the 14-day money-back guarantee, with no interaction with our Help Team, is not the appropriate course of action for a phone that may have a manufacturer’s defect. The returns team would have no idea that the phone was not damaged by the user, and would have to process the refund as for a damaged phone.

I provided two alternative options to simply returning the phone under the 14-day money-back guarantee.

1. As the issue may be covered under the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty, contact the manufacturer.
  2. Contact our Help Team

It’s not a matter of our failing to take responsibility. Our Help Team works with our members to resolve the situation to their satisfaction when a phone has a manufacturer’s defect. In some cases, the manufacturer requires that we refer the phone owner to the manufacturer for warranty issues. In some cases they allow us to assist the member. The warranty is from the manufacturer, not from Republic Wireless.

Still not knowing what kind of Moto you had previously, I’ll offer you a multiple-choice answer.
If your Moto is the Motorola DEFY XT, it cannot be reactivated.
If your phone is one of our legacy phones, Moto E (1st or 2nd Gen), Moto G (1st or 3rd Gen), Moto X (1st or 2nd Gen) you would re-activate it by opening the Republic app and following the prompts.
If your phone is one of our 3.0 phones, you could simply move the SIM card from the Pixel to the old phone, then re-activate in the Republic app, or since you deactivated in just the last few days, you can re-activate without moving the SIM card, using the SIM card that was previously in the Moto. Moving the SIM card is a little quicker activation process, but a little more tedious if you have older eyes and fingers like me.
The process is pretty much the same as activating your Pixel.

If your Pixel is syncing your contacts with Google, and you used the same Google account on both phones, then your new contacts will be in the Moto. You can check the Moto now, regardless of it being activated or not, to confirm, or use a computer and log into contacts.google.com with the same Google credentials you use on your phone to see them there.

Text messages are a little different - they traditionally don’t move from phone to phone, but newer messaging apps have started transfering them. What messaging app are you using? If it’s Republic Anywhere or Google Messages, you might see the more recent text messages on the Moto. Otherwise, you may have to use a 3rd-party app to back them up then “restore” them on the Moto. Some advice on that process can be found here: How to Transfer Contacts, Photos, Text messages and Other Info to Your New Phone

And I’m very sorry you’re having to deal with this. It’s disappointing to get something new and discover that it isn’t working properly.

2 Likes

Hi southpaw, thank you very much for these explanations. Much appreciated. My latest RW phone is a legacy Moto. I’ll reactivate it. I submitted a ticket to the help center, and I understand I can simply return the Pixel 4a to RW.

Is this volume button issue a known issue with the Pixel 4a? I wonder if it’s worth ordering another one.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

1 Like

Hi @jeanbaptistep.9negx7,

I’ve just skimmed through all Help Tickets, Chats, and Expert conversations in our Help Center through September 2020 with the search term “volume button” and could not find a single instance of any Pixel model with a volume button issue.

We also do not have any advisory from Google of a known issue regarding the volume button.

Perhaps some other Pixel 4a users will chime in to let you know if they’ve had any trouble.

1 Like

Hi southpaw,

Thank you very much for your quick help. I’ll probably try to order another one then.

Kind regards

3 Likes

We have a Pixel 4a and a 4a 5G in the family, no issue. I’m also very active in the Pixel Subreddit and this is not an issue I’ve ever seen in the thousands of posts.

2 Likes

I’ve had my Pixel 4a (non G) for a couple of months and have not had any problems with it, especially not with the volume control. I can’t believe how good this phone is. I’d recommend it to anyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer