New System Software

Is there a new system software available? It popped up on my phone but not sure if I should install it. I have a moto x 1st generation and I have been having issues with it. It will freeze and you can’t do anything, and it’s been popping up saying unfortunately such and such has stopped working, it can be messenger, cell calls or whatever. Just looked at it and now it’s saying Launcher isn’t responding do you want to close it and most of the time when I press ok my screen goes black and it freezes. Any suggestions on what to do?

Yes, there is a system update that you should install but first it’s important to stabilize the phone. I’d start with clearing the cache.

Clearing the Cache

Then I’d check the available memory in Settings, Storage to make sure you have, at a minimum, 500 Mb available. I’d do some housekeeping to raise that to 1000 Mb (1 Gb).

Then, if I had either of the facebook apps installed I’d uninstall them.

Finally, I’d restart the phone and perform the update.

More helpful information is here:

How to Install System Updates (From Lollipop)

Just want to add that it is not essential to remove Facebook app altogether.

However, a recent update to Facebook app created an issue that caused some of the symptoms that you described

such a phone freezing up. Also, with the Facebook app update issue, members reported getting a “no sim card” error message. The remedy for that is to uninstall Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps, verify normal functionality and then reinstall them back on.

amitl wrote:

The remedy for that is to uninstall Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps, verify normal functionality and then reinstall them back on.

There. I fixed that for you.

Message an
Expert customer