New upgrade to Moto G Stylus won't save tabs

Late night upgrade 4-27-21, and today I have no saved tabs. I used to be able to have a couple apps running and be able to go back and forth between them, but after this upgrade last night, it’s not happening today. Is there a trick I haven’t figured out, or something else I need to do? Anyone else having this problem? My husband has the same phone but hasn’t been “asked” to upgrade yet and doesn’t want to if that’s going to happen to him. Thanks in advance.

Good Morning @katherinea.j4nafm and welcome to the Community!

A Moto G Stylus in my household also received the Android 11 update yesterday.

I’m uncertain I understand what you mean by tabs. Are you asking about open app thumbnails? Or, are you asking about the row of app icons that used to be under the open app thumbnails and now see only an option for a Screenshot?

1 Like

I wasn’t quite sure how to describe this. Let’s say I opened messages, then map my walk, then Instagram, as soon as I leave, they are no longer in the background,for me to retrieve. I have to start up the app again. If I’m reading a news article and get distracted and want to finish reading later,bits not there as soon as I do anything else. Sometimes I’d have several apps running at once until I got rid of them myself.

PS, I don’t know how to do a screenshot anymore, because it’s not on the side switch to turn off or restart device.

Android 11 has a slightly different way of calling up your recent apps:

Find recent apps
From the bottom of your screen, swipe up slightly, then hold. When you feel a vibration, let go.

If you really want to switch between open apps rapidly, there’s a quick-switch gesture. c|net has an article that shows it in use here.

It’s a little different, but it becomes second nature after a while. If you really don’t like it, you should be able to go back to the old 3-button navigation if you want:

Turn gestures on or off

1. Open your phone’s Settings app.
  2. Tap System And then|autox18 Gestures .
  3. Tap System navigation.
  4. Select 3-button navigation.
4 Likes

Yay, that seemed to work. Thanks SO much. How do I signal that was a solution?

2 Likes

Hi @katherinea.j4nafm,

I’ve moved your topic to our “Questions and Answers” category and marked @cbwahlstrom’s reply as the solution. Please let us know of any other questions you might have as you settle into the updated operating system.

Thanks for posting your question in our Member Community. It will very likely help others as the new operating system reaches other phones, as well.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer