Nexus 6p as a gift.. Sim preinstalled or comes separately?

Buying a gift Nexus 6P for a friend. Will the sim come preinstalled or comes separately so I can keep the sim attached to my account and send the phone to my friend so he can use his own republic wireless sim? Thanks

Hi @zafara.4gveug,

I’m afraid there’s not a simple answer to this question.

We sell the Nexus 6P for two different cellular activations, based on what our coverage checker determines will provide the best coverage in the last Zip code you check.

If we send you a phone outfitted for one of our cellular carrier partners, the SIM will come installed in the phone and paired through a partial activation process uniquely to the phone. It will not work in any other phone, and any other SIM in that phone may not provide the best coverage for your friend’s area. There is no information about your account associated with the SIM card.

If we sent the phone outfitted for our other cellular carrier partner, the SIM card may be included in the phone or in the box. It will be the same SIM card available on our BYOP page and on Amazon, and can be installed in any of our BYOP-supported phones. There is no information about your account associated with the SIM card.

Could you explain what your purpose would be in removing the SIM card from the phone? Do you need a SIM card??

So the sim card will be attached to my account and cc when i buy the nexus 6p. Hence i will need to remove the sim card since this is a gift. Also i dont want to break the seal and make the gift seem like it was used. Hence i prefer it if the sim card came SEPARATELY and NOT preinstalled. If you can confirm it comes separately that will be great. Thanks

Also my zipcode is 60201 so hopefully that helps. If you can determine if the phone comes pre installed with the sim or not based on the carrier partner that you mentioned?

None of your account or credit card info is stored on the SIM card. Nothing about you is stored on the SIM card. It’s completely safe to give the gift with the SIM card intact.

Also my zipcode is 60201 so hopefully that helps. If you can determine if the phone comes pre installed with the sim or not based on the carrier partner that you mentioned? I prefer it comes SEPARATELY and NOT preinstalled

If you’re buying the gift for your friend, I would suggest you use his Zip code, not yours, in the coverage checker before making your purchase. This will ensure that the phone comes optimized for coverage in his area. Then leave the SIM card in his package to be sure not to cancel that optimization.

We have the same zip 60201. If you can determine if the phone comes pre installed with the sim or not based on the carrier partner that you mentioned? I prefer it comes SEPARATELY and NOT preinstalled

Hi @zafara.4gveug,

I completely understand your preference, however there is no way to answer that question.

Based on that Zip code, it is not possible for us to determine which activation our system would select. There appears to be coverage for both of our carriers available in your area, so the system uses other factors that I have no access to in order to make the determination.

If the SIM card comes installed, it is best to leave it installed. Again, there is absolutely nothing about your account or credit card stored on the SIM card and there is no reason to feel there is a risk involved in giving it to your friend.

Message an
Expert customer