No access account messaging

Don’t understand message on my MotoG4 cell phone: Calls over cell no access account messaging.
Can you tell me what this means?

Hi @virginiac.mwqcn3,

Here is a list of the connectivity status notifications you might see:

Can you tell us exactly which one you’re seeing, or share a screenshot?

Sorry, don’t know where to look. In the settings, it shows my wi-fi address, then connected for the status. This isn’t what you are referring to, is it?

Hi @virginiac.mwqcn3,

You wrote:

Where are you seeing that message and are those the exact words?

When I unplug phone from charger or turn on after being idle, overnight, for example .

Hi @virginiac.mwqcn3,

I feel like we’re not communicating well here at all. Let me start over and see if we can make sure we’re understanding one another.

You wrote that you are seeing a message on your phone that says, “Calls over cell no access account messaging.”

I’d like to know where you are seeing that message. Is it on your lock screen? Is it in the notification tray when you touch the top of the phone and drag your finger down? Does it have the Republic Wireless arc symbol beside it?

Or is it somewhere else entirely? Does it take up the whole screen?

You did say you can see it, “When I unplug phone from charger or turn on after being idle, overnight, for example.” That sounds like it’s on the lock screen and is telling you the connectivity status. So I sent you a link to connectivity status messages. But then you said you didn’t know where to look for that. I wasn’t asking you to go looking for anything specific. I was asking if the message you are asking about is the same as any of the messages on that list. None of them say exactly, “Calls over cell no access account messaging.”

One of the possible connectivity status messages is, " Calls over cell. No access to messages or voicemails. Check your network connection."
Another is “Calls over cell. No access to cell data, messages, or voicemails. Check your network connection.”
Does the message you’re seeing match one of those exactly?

Yes, the message appears on the locked screen, “Calls over cell. No access to messages or voicemails. Check your network connection.” But the wifi connection is “Excellent” I’m sorry I’m so dense about this stuff. I’m an older person new to a cell phone, use the phone mostly as a safety precaution.

No need to apologize, @virginiac.mwqcn3, in my book you’re doing great just figuring out how to post your question in our Community. We have staff who haven’t made it that far! :wink:

This is what the documentation tells us about the message you’re seeing:

• Device reports to have a cell data connection but Republic is not able to use it. Possibly connected to a Vpn or has a data blocking app such as Datally.
  • Empty gray arc

So it’s connecting to your Wi-Fi network but for some reason it can’t use it. Is this your normal Wi-Fi network at home, or are you visiting somewhere?

Have you added any new apps to the phone recently, particularly any that are supposed to “protect” the phone?

Have you rebooted your router lately? This is usually done by unplugging it from the electrical outlet. The best process is to reboot the router is:

1. Turn off the phone - all the way off, not just so it’s “asleep.”
  2. Unplug your router from the electrical outlet.
  3. If you have a separate modem, unplug that from the electrical outlet.
    (If you have both a modem and a router, the router often has an antenna.)
  4. Wait a full minute.
  5. Plug back in the modem and let it fully reboot. Sometimes this can take 2-3 minutes.
  6. Plug back in the router and let it fully reboot.
  7. Turn the phone back on and let it connect to the Wi-Fi network.

I have a dual band router. When I was experiencing the No access account message, I checked the wi-fi network address and noticed it had a 24 at the end of it, but my computer and phone have the 50 at the end. I kept changing it back to the 50 and finally it asked for my password. After I entered it, it stayed on the 50 and I haven’t seen that No access message in 2 days. Hopefully that is the fix. Thanks for your help. I 'll try some of your other suggestions it the problem reoccurs.

That’s great, @virginiac.mwqcn3! I’m glad you were able to figure it out.