No cellular use while traveling

What phone do you have? Moto G5+

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? 1gb

Issue Description

While traveling through Michigan I have had no cellular service even though my husband has with his MotoX. I’m not very technical. Perhaps I have turned something off?

Sometimes a simple restart of the phone can clear up a cellular connection issue…so that would be the easiest thing to try.

When you say no service…does your cellular signal show an empty triangle…as in no signal.
Or do you mean…no cellular service as in no phone calls…
Or… is your issues limited to no cellular data…as in no email/internet/etc.

Depending on the areas that you are traveling through…it could be a coverage issue.
To check the type of SIM card in your phone

1. Open the RW App on your phone
  2. Tap on the gear icon for settings
  3. Tap on About and check what it says next to SIM type.
    If it says GSM you have T-mobile coverage, if it says CDMA you have Sprint coverage.

You noted that your husband has MotoX…there are 4 versions of Moto X supported on RW.
If it is one of the older Moto X1 or X2 those works only on CDMA or Sprint. If it is one of the newer versions either the Moto X Pure or the Moto X4 then you can use the same steps above to determine his SIM type and see if that is different from you SIM.

Thank you for your reply. I checked my SIM and it says GSM, or T-Mobile. My husband does have an older MotoX , so Sprint, right? I suppose this could be a coverage issue, but I have had this phone for a couple of years and have not had this overall trouble before. Right now I have a little bit of a triangle and can text and call. at least to my husband’s phone. But I just checked the T Mobile map and I should have had coverage in areas that I drove through to get here and did not. I kept getting a message that I had no cellular coverage

The areas where their map shows coverage, what does it say about the quality of the coverage. I’d be willing to say it says “fair”, is that correct?

Some do. But some say good.

It does appear like a coverage issue to me.

If you travel to the same areas and know that your husband’s phone consistently gets good coverage in that area, you may want to consider getting a CDMA SIM card for your phone.

Thank you very much for your input. You have been very helpful.

Pat

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer