No incoming text audible signal

My new Moto G Power gives no audible signal for incoming texts, although it does vibrate. I thought I had it set to do both. I’ve checked everywhere I can think of and have found no setting that would seem to be muting the sound. This phone replaces my Moto G5S Plus. I’m on the My Choice plan with 1 GB of data.

Hi @peaheart,

Unfortunately, there are a lot of different places to check, so not having a list of all the places you’ve already checked, it’s possible we’re going to overlook something. I’ll start with two that are fairly easy to miss, though.

You didn’t mention whether the phone rings audibly for calls or just vibrates for those as well. The first place I check when my phone is vibrating only is the menu that appears when I press the volume up or down button.

Press the volume button and you will see a slider bar appear on the right-hand side of the phone.

Above the slider you’ll see a bell icon (shown), a vibrating phone icon :vibrate:, or a “no bell” icon (a bell that is slashed out.) Which one do you see? Tap it until it shows the bell icon. Does that change the behavior at all?

If you’re using the Messages app by Google :messages: there’s another setting that can be very hard to find.
Open the messages app, and while on the screen that shows all your conversations with various people (not one specific message thread) tap the three dot :dots: menu icon at top right.
Tap settings
Tap Notifications
Tap Incoming messages
On this screen you have the choice of “Alerting” or “silent”. Since the phone is vibrating when you have an incoming message, I think you have it set to “alerting”. Look below that and tap Advanced.
Tap Sound and make sure that a notification tone you can hear is selected.

2 Likes

Thank you! It was the very last item - the sound setting was set for “no sound.” I figured it was some place that I just hadn’t discovered. It’s working great now. Appreciate your help!

4 Likes

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt but Android 10 does NOT have a ‘sound setting’ anywhere I’ve looked. I am ready to throw the phone into the garbage and go back to Verizon and another iphone.AND my husband has the same phone and plan but he’s been with republic for years and simply migrated all his settings from his previous phone.

Hi @dianeharms,

I’ll be glad to help. Can you tell me which phone you’re using, which app in particular is not providing an audible notification?

Is the app providing a visible notification? Vibrating?

I don’t think the problem is that Android 10 doesn’t have a sound setting, instead it’s that it has far too many of them.

It’s a Moto G Power I’ve investigated hundreds of settings so far and gotten nowhere.

Which app isn’t providing an audible notification?
Is it providing a visual notifcation?
Is it vibrating?

It’s standard Google messaging. It’s set to vibrate and the little dot sows uo on thr=e app button but I am used to getting a verbal notification.

You’re using Messages by Google :messages: and when you receive a text message, it vibrates and you see a notification.
But you want to also hear a notification tone.
When you say, “it’s set to vibrate” can you tell me the exact steps you’ve taken to enable that setting?

Don;t really knoiw. This is awkward because I’m her husband and she’s in the hospital right noiw with her phone. I’ve compared all the settings on my phoine with hers and they’re identical except the Minions tell me when I get a text message but I’ve foun=d NOTHING on my phone which allows me to even change that

I’m sorry to hear that she’s in the hospital.

Did you follow the steps that @peaheart said solve it for her? That particular setting is incredibly well hidden.

If you’re using the Messages app by Google :messages: there’s another setting that can be very hard to find.
Open the messages app, and while on the screen that shows all your conversations with various people (not one specific message thread) tap the three dot :dots: menu icon at top right.
Tap settings
Tap Notifications
Tap Incoming messages
On this screen you have the choice of “Alerting” or “silent”. Since the phone is vibrating when you have an incoming message, I think you have it set to “alerting”. Look below that and tap Advanced .
Tap Sound and make sure that a notification tone you can hear is selected.

In your case, this might be where you could select something other than the minions. If you walk through those steps now, let me know where what you’re seeing doesn’t match what I’ve written.

That’s the standard procedure that comes up when i google the problem. Trouble is that there vis NO setting for ‘sound’ anywhere in the notificatios menus

Take it step by step and tell me exactly what you’re tapping.

My phone says "Minion txt message when I get to the ‘sound’ option. I’ve thried this with hers and it doesn’t hget this far. I apprecite your help and will try it again when I see her tomorrow. Ayhow, it’s agfter 11 in Orlando and the dog and I need to het some sleep. Thanks again and good night.

1 Like

Went to the hospital and miraculously went step by step and got to the “sound” option. Nothihg seemed to be checked so I picked one. It worlked but very little volume. Tried to retrace the steps and NEVER fiund the “sound” setting again. Still gonna do my darndest to talk her out of regressing but once her mind is set it’s like towing a cruis ship with a rowboat.

ANYHOW - Thanks foir the encouragment.

I don’t understand why they have that setting so well hidden. If the Community can help further, please let us know.

It is hard, when someone is comfortable with an iPhone, to get them to switch to Android. I’m equally as “lost” when someone hands me an iPhone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer