"No Network Connection" on lock screen; building a solution with Macrodroid?

I am using a Pixel 3A, Android 10. When I set my phone down for a while, when I pick it up the lock screen shows “No Network Connection” with the triangle. As soon as I unlock the phone I immediately connect. I am afraid I am missing notifications and maybe other things. Is this a setting issue on my phone or something else? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @jacklone and welcome back to the Member Community. There is a pretty active thread on this here – Phone displays “No Network Available” after most recent RW App update

Read through this and see if it describes your issue. If not, come back with questions and we’ll see if other Members have any suggestions. Hope this background helps!

I believe this is caused by the Android Doze function, which puts the radios asleep after being idle for a ‘period’ of time.

2 Likes

jben - I have installed the app and will let you know how it works. Must I retain the persistent notification for the app to work?

No, you don’t have to worry about MacroDroid’s notification, just install, check that it’s turned on and forget it.

• Any feedback information user can provide will be greatly appreciated, aggregated and hopefully used to improve our connectivity
    • Problems with my instruction
    • Screenshot of the log sequence observed (whether it works or not)
    • Suggested code changes (my way outdated coding skills are still struggling to figure out even things like MacroDroid)
1 Like

jben - I’m sorry to report that the situation happened to me this morning after setting up the macro.

ok, sorry about that, however, if you can provide some additional information it might help me better my approach.

Assumptions:

• The phone was not on the charger
  • The Macrodroid was at 0.9.6.5 and you verified that both toggles were to the right … and looks like this

Info needed:

• Your description of the failure, including how did you know it ‘failed’
  • Access the Macro Droid user log (Home/ Bottom left and provide a copy of the last two cycles of logs that were cut at the time of failure, this will show time between Doze being kicked in by Android and the sequence of events logged
  • My ‘normal’ looks like this
    • Title: On WiFi
      Text: Connected to Ubiquiti
      [2020-05-26 21:50:16] - (4)
      Title: On WiFi
      [2020-05-26 21:50:16] - (3)
      [2020-05-26 21:50:16] - (2)
      Title: No network connection
      Text: You do not have access to cellular networks. Try to find a WiFi network.
      [2020-05-26 21:50:15] - (4)
      [2020-05-26 21:50:15] - (1)
      [2020-05-26 20:35:05] - (4)
      [2020-05-26 20:35:05] - (3)
      [2020-05-26 20:35:05] - (2)
      [2020-05-26 20:35:04] - (4)
      [2020-05-26 20:35:04] - (1)
      Thanks, and I apologize for the amount of additional info requested, but as a non-programmer, I need all the help I can get :slight_smile:

jben - Your assumptions are correct. I knew it didn’t work because my phone had the “No Network Connection” message on the lock screen. This was about 8:15 EDT this morning. I noticed it again around 10:15 am. Attached are screenshots of the User and System logs.

From the user log at 08:15:14 2) On WiFi,it appears a partial ‘recovery’ but it wouldn’t support WiFi calling.
Generally what is the condition of your WiFi?
Could you run the Diagnostic from RW App home page and post back a screenshot of what they found (if it detected errors or warnings)

• Could check that both Republic Wireless and Macro Droid Apps do not have Battery Optimization turned on?
    • Due to differences in phone/OS levels I would suggest going into the Android Settings then use the search function
  • If either or both are Optimized, change them to Not Optimized and see if there is any difference

Diagnostic shows no problems. Both apps had Battery Optimization turned on. I have turned it off. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Ok, thanks … MacroDroid according to their forum has problems sometimes with it doing battery saving. And as Battery Saving and Doze are one and the same afik from Androids doc … Except turning it off doesn’t exempt RW App from Doze as Android doc says it should
It could also be my logic, as I still don’t have a firm handle on their Else If logic

I thought things were better, but this afternoon it happened again. Here are the screen shots of my lock screen and the logs.

Here is what I see (please confirm each # line, as some of that confuses me)

1. It looks like you left the house and went on cell at 07:48 and then returned to WiFi at 08:29?
  2. What happened between 08:29 and 15:50 when it looks like Doze kicked in?
  3. During the 15:50 event, it didn’t turn on the Display, which might indicate a MD failure or possibly you didn’t battery de-optimize the MacroDroid app?

OK.

1. During this time I was out taking a walk.

2. This was regular around the house stuff. I did some vacuuming if you must know!

3. The screen shot was taken at 3:58 (this was edited out by the moderator) and I took the log shots immediately after. I think I was reading a book when I picked up my phone and noticed the message. I have confirmed that both the Republic app and the MacroDroid app had battery optimization turned off.

Let me know if you would like me to try something else.

As neither the 15:50 or 15:58 Trigger completed, I wonder your changing your Notifications or Permissions may be contributing to the results were seeing?

• Could you Uninstall the MacroDroid App (Press/Drag to top of screen and drop into the Uninstall/Trash can.
  • Re-install from Macrodroid and accept all Permissions and make no changes to Notifications … this hopefully will give us a clean start. Then if works we can adjust the Notifications … if it doesn’t work, we will at least know a few more things it isn’t

OK. Uninstall, reinstall complete. Accepted all permissions. I will let you know.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Phone displays “No Network Available” after most recent RW App update

jben - Had another event. Screen shots of my lock screen (with personal info removed) and both logs are attached.

I realized later that, because of the uninstall/reinstall, the MacroDroid app did not have Battery Optimization turned off. I have now turned that off and will let you know if that makes a difference.

@ronf.cd82t5,
Dropping WiFi when Android goes int Doze or Deep sleep is part of Androids design to limit battery drain.

Message an
Expert customer