No phone service (no signal)

What phone do you have?

Moto G

What plan are you on?

My Choice Talk & Text

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Yes

===

Hello,

For the past week or so, I have no signal outside of the house. In other words, only wi-fi calling works. No data/signal available without wi-fi.

Needless to say, I need to get cell data working or I will have to find another provider.

Thank you for any help.

I am sorry you are having cellular issues. Can you please go into the Republic app on the phone and tell us what you are seeing? Is there a message about a compatible phone needing a SIM card?

No everything looks like it has for the past several years. Everything /looks/ fine from within the RW app.

I’ve been reading about the recent outages/updates. The signal stopped on my phone around that same time, I think. But I know for sure it’s been at least a week or so since I’ve had any carrier signal.

Let’s start with some basic resets.

1. Reboot the phone in an area that has a strong cell signal. (Some people have simply needed to step outside and reboot.) If this fixes it, stop.

2. Please ensure the data is turned on in Android Settings. Settings > Data Usage > Cellular Data (some phones may say Mobile Data). If this fixes it, stop.

3. While connected to WiFi, reset your Republic credentials by opening the dialer as if making a call and enter *#*#8647#*# (and on a Samsung phone hit the dial button). The screen should clear, when it does, restart the phone. If this fixes it, stop.

4. This one is more complicated. This step will clear out any saved connections for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that you may have already made. You’re going to reset the network settings.
    Go to Settings > More > Network settings reset
    Read the warning, tap “Reset settings.” You will be warned a second time. Tap “Reset settings” to confirm. The process will usually take 5-10 seconds and the cellular signal bars icon will go away for a moment. Once the cell signal bars icon returns, you should reboot the phone.

Thanks. Tasks 1, 2, and 3 no results. Tried #4 but there is no setting “Network settings reset” located under Settings > More.

Depending on the model phone it might be located under a different section in Settings. When you go into the Settings app check under System.

Hmm. For Moto phones, it is usually there. How about under: Settings > Backup and Reset > Network settings reset ?

Actually, I just noticed that for phone type you have “Moto G”. What generation is that Moto G? The steps I provided don’t apply for the Moto G1 & G3.

@coreyk

Thank you but there is no “System” item under the settings menu.

@louisdi

Under Settings > Backup and Reset, there is no setting for “Network settings reset”.

For the version, under About Phone > Model Number, it just says “Moto X”. So I am not sure which Moto version… how do I find it?

Any other ideas, or is it time to find an alternate solution? Really need my phone to work while outside of the house.

Thank you, that’s the first Gen Moto X and changes the steps entirely.

Please make sure to take these steps in a place where you have a good wi-fi connection.

1. Restart the phone.
  2. Reset Republic credentials - Open the dialer, then dial *#*#8647#*#* while on WiFi.
  3. Update the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) - Go to Settings then System Update then Update PRL
  4. Wipe Sprint settings - open the dialer again and dial ##72786#. (You will get a scary message about things being reset, don’t worry, none of your personal information is impacted, you should say “yes”.)
  5. Update the profile - go to Settings then System Update then Update Profile. (Again while on wifi)
  6. Restart again (If it doesn’t automatically)

Thank you for your help, everything is working fine now.