No service on one phone and limited on another

What phone do you have?

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Issue Description

My wife has a Moto G4 and I just bought a Moto G7. When we are at my in laws home I cannot even text or make any calls unless I jump on a WI FI network. My wife can with her older phone. Is there a way to check if the phones are trying to access a different cell tower or is there something else that would make the G4 connect and not my G7?
Thanks!

Ted

Hi @tedp.2geyfm and welcome to the Member Community. Sounds like one phone might be active on the CDMA network and the other could be GSM. Here’s a “How to” for determining if a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA.

That could explain a difference in coverage. If you would share the zip code of your residence and your in-laws (only the zip codes) someone can help determine which network would provide the best coverage in those locations.

Please report back and we’ll see where to go from there.

3 Likes

Home is 53597 & in-laws 54634.

And can you please use the How To and determine what network each phone is activated on now and share that too?

Thanks!

1 Like

My wife’s G 4 is on the CDMA & mine is on GSM. Is there a procedure to change mine to CDMA or do I have to change the SIM card?

Hi @tedp.2geyfm you can request a CDMA SIM using this procedure.

A person in another thread had an interesting spin on the CDMA and GSM coverage. They said –

“If two of you have Republic phones, you might want to consider having one with GSM and the other with CDMA. That’s what my wife and I do, and we have coverage just about everywhere. Either phone can become a hotspot providing a Wi-fi connection to the other phone, so if we’re stuck in a campground with only one service, both phones will work.”

Just sharing other thoughts. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer