No sound on Moto G 4

I have a Moto G4
I am on the 1GB plan, and that includes data.

Issue Description

In between this afternoon and tonight, the sound on my phone stopped working (both speakers and headphones). Since I thought that would indicate a software issue, here are the steps I’ve taken:

1. I restarted the phone

2. I downloaded a few anti virus programs (you never know) and they found nothing

3. I cleared the cache partition (since that was recommended when I googled the problem

I’d like to avoid doing a factory reset since it would be a hassle with some of the apps I have on my phone, but will do it if needed. Are there any other potential causes that I could troubleshoot?

Some more information: when I try to play a podcast it will not even play the audio, and when I try to make or receive a call, it doesn’t seem to connect the call

Hi @josephs.lygbii,

First, if you haven’t already done so, please remove the anti-virus apps.

Try starting the phone in safe mode and see if any audio functions work like that.

3 Likes

another thing to do is to run hardware test via the Moto Help App

look for the Moto Help app (:motohelp:) in the App Drawer
go to the Fix tab and select hardware test for both the Speakers and headphones

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I did remove the apps after they found nothing. I have also tried in safe mode and was unable to get sound.

I just ran hardware tests and neither of them passed.

If the hardware test failed we are looking at a hardware failure (though I will admit having both headphones and speaker fail at the same time is unusual)

I would start a support ticket at Motorola
https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/android-series/moto-g-google-play?linkTrack=Homepage%3ABody_Search+Products

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer