No text without wifi

I am a new customer. I can’t seem to send or receive text messages without being connected to wifi. I am on a no data plan, but I have always been able to text without data with Verizon. Is this normal for Republic? I am not having a good initial experience.

By the way, I can call and receive calls whether on wifi or cell. And I am trying to text another Republic phone, so I don’t think this is related to the current issue with texting from new phone numbers.

do you have data turn on in the android setting (roaming data needs to be turn on also)
Republic hybrid VoIP/cell system used data to send text (even on the no data plan and this data is never counted against the data in any data tier you may purchase

yes, both are on

The basic answer is that texting with Republic requires that the phone have data, cellular or wifi. This does not mean CUSTOMER DATA, but rather a data connection to the network. Even on the $15 plan, with no customer data the phone still has a data connection to the network that is used by the phone for sending/receiving texts.

Right, but I have the data On, but can’t text without Wi-Fi. Is there a solution to my problem?

When you have the wifi turned off, do you have a cellular signal? If yes, do you see letters near the signal bar letting you know you have a data connection? (Like an LTE or 4G or 3G or an H+)?

I have a strong cell signal, but I have never seen any indicators such as you have mentioned (LTE,etc.) I can’t imagine that nowhere in Charlotte that I have gone today is there access to data. If that is the case, this is really the wrong network. Is is possible my phone just doesn’t state that information? I have a Galaxy J3. How do I tell if there is data coverage where I am?

Try this:

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Reboot the phone in an area that has a strong cell signal. (Some people have simply needed to step outside and reboot.) If this fixes it, stop.

2. Please ensure the data is turned on in Android Settings. Settings > Data Usage > Cellular Data (some phones may say Mobile Data). If this fixes it, stop.

3. This one is more complicated. This step will clear out any saved connections for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that you may have already made. We’re going to reset the network settings.
    Go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Network settings reset
    Read the warning, tap “Reset settings.” You will be warned a second time. Tap “Reset settings” to confirm. The process will usually take 5-10 seconds and the cellular signal bars icon will go away for a moment. Once the cell signal bars icon returns, you should reboot the phone.

The reboot worked, and I see “LTE” on my phone now. Will this be expected to be a permanent fix, or will I have to do this every time I come out of wifi?

You should not need to repeat it.

Thank you very much for your help!

But I should say, it is good phone “hygiene” to restart your phone every few days.

Got it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.