No voice directions for driving

When I find a location and press directions I get voice directions once but not for any more turns. Is there a trick to having the phone give me directions for each turn?

Are you connected to your cars Bluetooth? If connected to the cars Bluetooth, you will probably need to set the cars radio mode to Bluetooth.
And did you tap on “Start” after tapping Directions?

4 Likes

Does it need to talk through Bluetooth or can it talk without it? My phone automatically connects to Bluetooth in the car for phone calls but I can try setting the radio to Bluetooth while doing directions.
I did tap on Start since I got the first direction speaking directly out of the phone but no more talking after that.

Yes, the phone can give voice directions without being connected to Bluetooth, but will not if it is connected to Bluetooth with the radio on in another mode besides Bluetooth . You will be able to receive calls with the radio on but not hear the directions. At least that is my experience since upgrading. If the radio is in Bluetooth mode, then I am able to hear directions through the radio as well as receiving calls. Let us know if this works for you. Thanks

2 Likes

I assume that you are using google maps. When you are navigating, you will see a speaker icon on the map. There are three settings: unmuted, alerts only, muted. Select unmuted.

2 Likes

You are correct. What happened to me was I started the route and heard the first voice direction through the phone, then started the car which activated the Bluetooth connection, and then it resumed playing music from my USB stick which is what the car was doing when I last turned it off. I switched the car audio center to Bluetooth and all the navigation instructions started playing over the car speaker.
It looks like you can’t do the audio directions through the car radio and have the driving directions interrupt to speak (which does occur for phone calls) when to turn. I suppose I also could suspend Bluetooth connection and directions would play through the phone itself.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

What happened to me was I started the route and heard the first voice direction through the phone. I started the car which activated the Bluetooth connection, and then it resumed playing music from my USB stick which is what the car was doing when I last turned it off. I switched the car audio center to Bluetooth and all the navigation instructions started playing over the car speaker.

It looks like you can’t do the audio directions through the car radio and have the driving directions interrupt the music to speak (which does occur for phone calls) when to turn. I suppose I also could suspend Bluetooth connection and directions would play through the phone itself.

I have been doing some experimenting with this and plan to do more. So far, I have been able to play the FM radio through my phone and use Google map directions to also give verbal directions over the phone while also listening to the car radio and have calls come through the Bluetooth on the car radio. That was a lot of extra noise. I was also able to listen to the phones FM radio and get directions through the cars Bluetooth when set to the Bluetooth mode.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer