Not connecting during everyday use - only if there's wifi

Hi, I recently purchased a Google Pixel 4a. On the my choice 1GB unlimited talk & text.

I’ve used Republic Wireless for close to four years. We live in a very rural area and I drive a distance to go back and forth to work. I am a teacher and outside quite a bit with the students. I’ve always had connectivity issues, but thought that it was a weak signal from my old Moto phone. After purchasing the Pixel 4a, the connection has only worsened. I am not having any luck making phone calls in the towns I’m passing through and it seems to only want to work on wifi. I’ve checked my settings and believe I have it all set up correctly. I’ve also looked at the map and the service says it should be a strong signal. Verizon is often the preference in our area due to the strong signal.

Please help! It worries me that I’m unable to connect when I’m outside with students in case of an emergency or parent contact.

Hi @cassief.syx0kf and welcome to the Community!

To help us best help you, we need to know more about the SIM in your new Pixel 4a. Specifically, is it GSM or CDMA? Here’s how to tell:

It would also help us to know the model and generation of the old Moto. Finally, a zip code or two for the areas where the coverage experience is lacking, so we may look at coverage in those areas?

3 Likes

Thank you ~ The SIM is GSM.
The old Moto model is XT1687 and type M266C
The zip codes are 28714 and 28777

1 Like

Did you move the SIM from your old Moto G5 Plus to the Pixel 4a? If not, please remove the SIM from the Moto G5 Plus. Is the “public” part of the word Republic green? Or, is the lettering for the entire word Republic all gray or all black?

This is rarely an issue.

The issue is Republic’s coverage. Please allow me to provide context regarding Republic’s coverage options. Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. T-Mobile and Sprint have merged, however, the networks remain separate. Cellular coverage is provisioned with one network or the other not both simultaneously.

GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage in the two zip codes you were kind enough to provide is poor to non-existent, which explains the experience using the new Pixel 4a.

CDMA (Sprint network) coverage looks better but still not great. It’s possible to switch coverage on the Pixel 4a from its current GSM to CDMA. Doing so would involve requesting a new SIM as described by Republic here:

As mentioned, CDMA coverage isn’t a whole lot better than GSM. At best, you should expect talk & text but little access to cell data when out about and away from WiFi. I would suggest a switch to CDMA is worth a try.

Given the responsibility for your students; if the switch to CDMA still doesn’t provide adequate coverage and it pains me to say this, it would be time to consider alternatives to Republic. If it comes to that, you would want to look at AT&T, Verizon or a provider using one of those networks.

2 Likes

Okay! I removed the SIM card. Not sure where to look for the color of public. The symbol is green and the text is grey on my app.

I will try switching my SIM card to CDMA - I’d prefer not to change providers if possible!

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer