Not getting SMS on Sprint Number

texting

Not long ago I asked this question about getting my Sprint number so that I could receive SMS messages on it for our county’s dispatch system (it will only send to the big 4 carriers). That worked for a bit, but has stopped.

When I send it a text I get this response:

This is an invalid number. Messages to this number are not delivered, even if you do not receive this notice.

The last time I received a text on this number was March 19th, 2017.

Is anyone able to receive SMS on their Sprint number? Any ideas for what I could try?

Update: My wife got home and I tried it on her phone. It works for her. My phone is a Moto G4 Plus on the current plan. She has a Moto X2 on the refund plan.

0 Likes

Republic has said all along that the underlying numbers were not for customer use and may change or stop working at any time. On the new system Republic doesn’t need the underlying number at all for text message delivery (it’s all done by data now, so no traditional cellular SMS delivery) so I wouldn’t at all be surprised if it is now blocked at the carrier level.

0 Likes

louisdi wrote:

…On the new system Republic doesn’t need the underlying number at all for text message delivery (it’s all done by data now, so no traditional cellular SMS delivery) …

Is that for the newer phones on the 3.0 plan, or does this also apply to the older phones on the 1.0 and 2.0 plans?

0 Likes

it’s for 3.0 and any 1.0/2.0 using republic anywhere (still in beta)

0 Likes

I know it was always an unofficial workaround, but it was one that I needed. Republic doesn’t seem to have a SMS gateway that HipLink (the software that links to our CAD for dispatch) can talk to. I just wish it had stopped working a few weeks before I bought a new phone and upgraded plans instead of a few weeks after. Now I’m going to have to leave for another carrier. Getting these messages isn’t optional.

0 Likes

Hi @hunter,

I understand this is a potential deal breaker for you. Might HipLink’s mobile app be a solution: HipLink Mobile Application?

Failing that, would you be able to provide more information regarding how HipLink sends SMS. Do they originate from a short code or an email address?

0 Likes

Unfortunately the mobile app isn’t an option. The County doesn’t use it.

Hiplink uses SNPP (simple network paging protocol) for sending messages. As far as I can tell Republic doesn’t support this. As far as I can tell they do this because it is more efficient and also lets them label messages as priority so in theory dispatch texts go to the front of any messaging queues in the system.

0 Likes

So, essentially, HipLink is using a protocol originally intended for pagers to deliver via a carrier’s email to SMS gateway? My guess is you’re correct and Republic’s email to SMS gateway doesn’t support SNPP. Have you raised a help ticket for a definitive answer?

0 Likes

closed #9
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer