Number in SIM Chip

Upgrading Motorola X 2nd gen. to a Motorola G7 Power. Put the old SIM chip with a phone number of 904-228-XXXX in the new phone and a totally different phone number 904-578-XXXX came up. This is very confusing! Ordered a new SIM but I shouldn’t have had to buy a new SIM chip, in my opinion. Answers?

Hi @garys.wibxd7,

The phone number is not associated with the SIM card, but with your Republic Wireless account.

A SIM card from a Moto X 2nd Gen is not compatible with a Moto G7 Power and cannot be used to activate the phone for service with Republic Wireless.

2 Likes

Wow! Had no idea. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

The SIM card in the Legacy phones should be left in the phone, and if selling/passing on to another user, you should review Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help

Great article on selling the phone. You referred to the old phone (Moto X.2nd Gen) as Legacy? I hadn’t heard that before.

Hi @garys.wibxd7,

The Moto E (1st and 2nd Gen), Moto G (1st and 3rd Gen) and Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen) come from a period in Republic Wireless’ history when only phones manufactured specifically for Republic Wireless could be activated on our service, and they could not be used anywhere else. They have their own unique plan options as well. As they’ve aged, Motorola has stopped issuing updates for them, and we continue to support them in an “legacy” mode - meaning there’s no further product development planned to bring them improvements.

In July 2016 we entered a new era where certain North American, Factory Unlocked phones can be used with our service - allowing our members to buy from Republic or from other retailers and move their phone away from Republic if they should have to leave us. These phones come with a different service plan and receive coverage from one of two cellular carrier partners.

When you move from your Moto X 2nd Gen to your Moto G7 Power, your cellular service will transition from coverage provided through our partnership with Sprint to coverage provided through our partnership with T-Mobile. The Moto G7 Power is capable of coverage through our partnership with Sprint, but the SIM card to make that possible is not yet available. It’s in developement and we’re looking forward to having it in a matter of weeks. If you notice a difference in coverage and think you need to be moved back to Sprint, please let me know and I’ll make sure you get the newer SIM card when it is available. You may find your coverage is better on T-Mobile’s service, or you may not notice any difference at all.

You’ll also move from your current plan to our My Choice plan, with talk and text costing $15 a month, and cellular data priced at $5 for each non-refundable GB. Data expires at the end of each billing cycle.

I hope much of what I’ve written isn’t news to you, but since you were surprised to learn that you’d need a new SIM card and by the reference to our “legacy” phones, I thought I’d go ahead and catch you up on everything that’s been going on in the last three years. :slight_smile: Please let us know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Many thanks for that very detailed explanation!
From near past experience, because we are in the mountains of Waynesville NC for nearly 6 months every year, T-MOBILE is of poor quality reception. Around here folks use Sprint and US Cellular.

In that light, please send the newer SIM for the Sprint ASAP. I’ll insert the one that’s on it’s way but didn’t realize it was for T-MOBILE, or I could have waited.

All the best and thank you for these exemplary efforts on my behalf.

Gary

2 Likes

I’ll be in touch with you just as soon as that new SIM card is available.

That’ll work.
Gary

Love to hear about your experience with T-Mobile there. We made a couple of trips this spring to Reems Creek Nursery and on through downtown and did get adequate coverage.

We are up at 4200’ ASL and even ATT barely works on our security system. Son has T-MOBILE and hates it up here. Maybe some changes have taken place over the last couple years on T-Mobile and it may work, but I’m not holding my breath.
Thanks,
Gary

Off topic – I love Waynesville. My sister and her husband live there.

1 Like

We are 2 miles above Laurel Ridge CC on Eagles Nest. Where is your sister?

Gary

I just know she lives on Joshua Lane, which is on a mountain-side, east of the “round-a-bout.” Haha.

You obviously haven’t been there. It was 59 and sunny this am and I come from 100 degree FL. Love here!

Maybe you should visit her?

Gary

I have been there several times. I just live far from there and am not familiar with what areas are called. I just know how to get to her home. Been to Lake Junaluska, downtown Waynesville is awesome. Even been to the community center. She is around Ratcliff Cove or something like that.

I know the area. Come on back to the mountains.

Gary

Hi @garys.wibxd7,

I was just circling back around to get some info about you for that SIM card as we are finally getting very close to being able to send it out, but I see you’ve opened a couple of tickets while waiting, and all the info we need is up to date in the waiting list. Just following up to complete the circle, but I don’t see any further action I need to take.

I"ve got to tell you that this phone communication has been trying my patience. I hope RW can clear this up with the newly developed chip?
Life is short!
Thanks,

Message an
Expert customer