Number Unreachable on both cell and wireless, plus some people can't phone me

Phone: Moto X 1st Gen

Plan: Refund Republic Base Plan, includes data, talk, and text

A few months ago I started having problems when making phone calls on both cell and wifi. A call would not go through with a Number Unreachable message. The thing is, I would try over and over and eventually the call would go through. Also some people can call me just fine and others can never get through. Sometimes the calls that never get through get recorded as missed calls, and sometimes they never show up at all.

Today I tried all the fixes in the Troubleshooting section for Phone Calls:

and the Number Unreachable error fixes here:

with no success. The one difference now is that the phone tries to make cell calls and not wifi calls, even when the phone is inches away from the wireless box and wifi on the phone is Connected. Wireless is at home and in good shape.

Any ideas other than Factory Reset?

Thanks,
Brett

I’ve done a factory reset and as far as I can tell, everything seems to be working again.

Thanks,
Brett

Hi @brett,

I’m glad to see you were able to solve this issue, and I’m sorry our Member Community didn’t have any suggestions for you.

A factory reset takes care of two possible causes in one fell swoop:

1. Your phone’s memory was at capacity
  2. An app was conflicting

If the problem resurfaces, you might want to check the available storage on the phone and clear you phone’s cache as well as any personal content that may be taking up valuable space (photos, videos, music files, downloads such as PDF files). On these older phones, apps and their updates can sometimes max out the phone’s available memory, leaving little room for personal content.

If you have plenty of available memory and the issue resurfaces, try testing the phone in Safe Mode to rule out an app conflict. If the phone works in Safe Mode, that would indicate that some app you have installed is the culprit, and you’d have to start removing apps one by one (or factory reset again, then add apps one by one with a few days in between each addition) to figure out which app it might be.

Thank you, southpaw , that’s interesting. I had already cleared most of my data off the cellphone and still had problems. And I had two installed programs over and above the default: one was Zoom, which I had installed after the problems started, and the second was a sound recorder. Perhaps the recorder was the problem and all I had to do was uninstall it.

In any case, I’ll try safe mode if I have problems again; I didn’t know about that!

Thanks,
Brett

I’m still having intermittent problems with Number Unreachable. Also my phone tells me that it is unable to send text messages. Each message gets a warning that the message was not sent. (This also happened before I did the Factory Reset.) So I tried putting the phone in Safe Mode, and when the phone selected making the call using Cell I still got the Number Unreachable problem. Eventually it selected Wifi, and that call did go through. This was typical of the previous situation, where problems would be intermittent.

Is there anything I haven’t yet tried to fix these problems?

Thanks,
Brett

Would you mind uninstalling the sound recorder, reboot the phone, and see if that helps?

When I did the Factory Reset the sound recorder was uninstalled. I have not re-installed it.

Thanks,
Brett

Just to clarify the text portion of your issue, you are using Messages by Google, correct?

When using Messages by Google, be sure to disable the chat features:

If you simply turn off WiFi, do the calls go through on cellular, and do the texts send?

4 Likes

Hmmm. I suspect that the icon has changed over the years, but what I mean is the default program used to send text messages via one’s phone number. The program sits on the bottom row of icons on the main screen, next to the camera icon on the right, and when it is open it is named “Messaging”. The error appears as a small orange triangle icon to the right of the text being sent, indicating that it is not sent. When that error triange first appears, there is an audio and text notification that the message was not sent. Though apparently sometimes it goes through anyway, even when the warning appears.

Looking through the settings for Messaging, I don’t see anything about chat.

I hope that’s enough info to differentiate it.

As for wifi, I’ve been away from wifi for a while today, and some texts seem to have gone through (though there is no notification of such except that the trianges aren’t there) and one have not.

Thus far I have been unable to make phone calls today on cellular.

Keep in mind this is Android 5.1, if that helps any.

Thanks,
Brett

If you have the app with the green icon, you’ll want to replace it. That’s the old Messaging App that has been discontinued for quite a while and is known to have issues as it hasn’t been updated in years. You’ll want to replace it with Google Messages.

Messaging is the older (no longer supported) default text program with the green icon. It has been deprecated, and you should install Messages by Google and set it as the default texting app. As mentioned in my previous post, make sure to disable chat features.

I’m also using an old Android 5.1 phone that I recently rescued from the trash (Moto G 3rd gen). It belonged to my mother in-law and was apparently used (unsuccessfully) as a Coca Cola sponge. I’m sorting through some unexpected WiFi calling issues, but if I disable WiFi it calls out just fine.

You are both right, it’s the old green icon. I have installed Messages by Google. A detail was that I was still in Safe Mode!

I have made it default and I have also turned off Chat Features.

Yes, back before I did the System Reset, my go-to solution was to disable Wifi and use cellular. That usually worked. But phone calls made with cell today resulted in Number Unreachable. Twice.

We shall see if that helps with “messages.”

Thanks,
Brett

1 Like

Regarding calling, go into the Google Play store and make sure your Republic Wireless and Republic Telephony apps are up to date. I’ll let you know if I discover anything regarding the strange WiFi calling failures I’m experiencing.

1 Like

The Republic Wireless app is up to date.

Heh, the Republic Telephony app… cannot be found. It does not appear in the list of app icons.

Thanks,
Brett

Republic Telephony is a hidden system app, but if you search for Republic Telephony in the Google Play store, you’ll find it. If an update is available it will have an update button.

1 Like

Understood. I’ve now updated Republic Telephony, and verified that it no longer has an update button in Google Play.

Thanks,
Brett

1 Like

When I open the Republic Wireless app, it states that it is up to date. And when I try to install it at the Play store, it is not possible to do a new install. However, there is a notification on the cellphone screen that says: Republic Wireless Version 2.1.5.2301 Available.

For whatever that’s worth.

Thanks,
Brett

I’m on 2.1.8.2367. If you tap on the “Up to date” text in the app, it will display the version.

Nevermind, the cellphone has rebooted and that notification regarding the new Republic Wireless app is gone.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ll know tomorrow if things are now working or not.
Brett

1 Like

Aha, ok, that’s the version I’m now on.

Thanks,
Brett

Message an
Expert customer