Official Republic Anywhere Feature Request Thread

On the desktop version, it would be great if notifications weren’t shown for messages that have already been read on another device.
When waking up my laptop from sleep, I am bombarded with dozens or hundreds of message notifications that I’ve already read and responded to on my Android device. In some cases it can make all of the Windows 10 buttons in the lower right corner unusable for several minutes, until all of the Anywhere notifications have been displayed.

9 Likes

GIF availability for desktop version

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Anywhere Linux Ubuntu - audible notification

I work in an environment that doesn’t allow third party type programs to be installed, however they are okay with a number of Portable Apps, that allow the computer program to run straight from the executable rather than installing and using Administrator Access. This would be another feature that would be nice to have for those of us without administrator privileges at our place of work. I feel like it would be a relatively easy feature to push out as well.

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: What is the advantage of Anywhere over other supported SMS apps?

Linux workstation version does not provide a background launch mechanism. You have to start it and then close it in order to get it running in the background. It would be just freaking lovely if you could provide a command line argument for the Linux version that would start – and monitor incoming messages – without launching the display.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: “Not Sent. Tap to try again” with Republic Anywhere

4 posts were split to a new topic: Unique notifications for contacts in Anywhere

Haven’t been here for awhile to know if anyone has asked this but…

(Moderator’s note: Edited to update that these requests pertain to Anywhere on PC)

It annoys me that when starting a text, I have to choose from the recipient’s “home” or “mobile” phone number. I realize it’s just an extra click or two, but wouldn’t it be better to just have “mobile” as the only option or to at least default to “mobile”?

I must be feeling old(er) and crotchety(er) today…

(Moderator’s note: This post was moved to this thread from: Anywhere default to mobile?)

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: A suggestion for improving Republic Wireless

Also, it annoys me that once I’ve typed in their name or number, I have to click the check mark a second time before it allows me to create the message. The great majority of texts are sent to just one person (vs. being a group text) so why not default to that? ie. once i’ve typed the name or number, let me click just once and get me straight to the message text.

(Moderator’s note: This post was created from content originally submitted in Official Republic Anywhere Feature Request Thread, so that we’d have two unique ideas for clarity as to which one people are voting for.)

2 Likes

The ability for unique notifications assigned to individual contacts to be heard when those contacts reply in a group message.

(Moderator’s note: This entry was created on behalf of @drog who posted it in this thread originally, but it was moved to a new thread for discussion. See Unique notifications for contacts in Anywhere for context and discussion.)

2 Likes

I think an option to entirely turn off the icons would be nice so long as the conversation only included two people. I know who I am… process of elimination tells me the rest. Then the words could go all the way across the page! Right now my old phone, MUCH smaller, still shows more words on the screen because the app has no icons wasting screen space. :slight_smile:

Proxy settings, to use at work with a proxy. Having said that, @dondtus idea of a web interface is probably a path of less resistance that will accomplish the same goal.

Moderator’s note: Replies to this comment were merged into this post to maintain the unique list-only aspect of this topic.

1 Like

Ability to hide messages, and then a checkbox menu option to show hidden messages. Good for work hiding more personal conversations, or that party invite when you’re showing someone something. It should also mute notifications from hidden conversations! Might take some reworking but I think that would be very useful and give Anywhere even more advantages over ‘regular’ SMS apps on other carriers.

1 Like

If it is not already being addressed, I would like to suggest the availability of stickers and possibly GIFs on the PC version of Republic Anywhere. I use them frequently but have to message on my phone to use them. Would be a nice entertaining feature. When at home I prefer to use Republic Anywhere on my PC. I like a real keyboard and less typos! It’s very noticeable when using my PC as my friends use them frequently and it’s very entertaining and humorous.

4 Likes

How about the option to completely clear(delete) all your texts off of R.W. server, so that the will not re-sync to Anywhere again.
(for those of us who are a bit security paranoid…or just want to start fresh)

I do see an option to Reset local storage of message on your PC, so that would clear out old messages only left on the local computer. But when u re-sync, it pulls the last 30 days of messages.

I wasn’t sure where to give feedback on the Republic Anywhere app, so here it goes.

For the most part, I really like the app. The interface is easy to use, it is visually appealing and texting from a desktop or laptop is totally awesome! However, there is one huge drawback that makes it unusable for me. When I want to send a text to more than one person, I have to make it a group chat. The Messenger App allows me to send a text to multiple recipients and each person receives their own text in their individual feed/stream. In the group chat, when anyone replies, everyone gets a text. This is super annoying when I send out general information to my piano students because they all send back “thanks” and everyone’s phone buzzes. I can’t figure out how to make Anywhere send a text to a group of people and have each person receive an individual text.

Mark

4 Likes

Not a fan of the square-shaped message bubbles, but that’s just aesthetics.

The bigger problem for me is that you waste functionality by making archive be a swipe to the left, or to the right. Can you make archive a swipe to the left, and a swipe to the right be an option to call that number? Or, in order to please all users, just add that possibility in ‘settings’ --e.g., we can go in and change it so it calls the number when we swipe right.

Been using Androids for years, and their app has always had that function. It’s nice because the people I text are the people I want to call most often, and instead of having to search them in contacts, I can just go into my messaging app and swipe right. It’s almost always how I call people. I literally downloaded Textra instead of Republic Anywhere just so I could use that function. Might make the transition a little easier on people coming from other providers. Seems like an easy enough fix to me.

Auto-retry (optional) function to attempt to retry at [resource appropriate] interval(s). Currently if service or wifi is spotty, a message can fail to send, and report that it failed, but it never attempts to retry. Google’s Hangout, for example, simply sends the message (again) when network service is available. Perhaps attempt a retry when a new message is received? Relatively resource light.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer