Offshore international calls

international

Hello,
1- Given that Republic’s service is preferentially wi-fi, then Sprint as a backup, if I’m in a foreign country and my Republic phone is connected to a wifi there, will I be able to make and receive phone calls/SMS texts to the U.S and to numbers within the country I’m in? If so, is there anything special needed to be done?

2- If I get additional Republic numbers and the SIM cards for those numbers, just to use temporarily from time to time, can I turn off my Republic service and avoid paying the monthly $15 minimum and still keep my phone numbers in reserve until needed again? If so, can I add the additional numbers to my original account?

Thank you.

When connected to unrestricted WiFi outside the U.S., you’ll be able to use your Republic service to exchange calls and text messages with U.S. and Canadian numbers but not local (in country) numbers. Details here: International Travel with a Republic Phone.

No, Republic doesn’t offer the ability to suspend service without paying for it nor is Republic a good choice for warehousing numbers. A dedicated number parking service like NumberBarn is a better choice for the latter.

Well, I went on my trip and your description to my first question was correct, so I was happy with that.

I still had a problem I couldn’t figure out. I use my Republic MotoE G4 exclusively for financial transactions and one such was Uber to the airport. That worked fine since the connection was from my home wifi. On my way back, airport to home, I coudn’t connect to Uber or even the airport wifi, which was working for other people. Still, in that situation it’s supposed to connect to Sprint automatically, correct? I had/have Data Saver on and tried turning it off. The cell connection indicator was about midway and of my 2GB of data only about 100MB had been used. Are my settings wrong?

Do you know if the airport wifi was free? Also, if the wifi wasn’t free, maybe you had to click on something that says that you agree to the terms and conditions. Without doing so, you might have not been able to have access to the airport wifi.

I wonder what would’ve happened if you tried turning your wifi off in that situation. Sometimes, my phone can try to connect to networks that it can’t get access to, so I have checked my wifi setting to see if I can adjust anything, and in rare instances, I turn my wifi off. However, if you turn your wifi off, you need to make sure you turn it back on because you can potentially easily go through a lot of cellular data unnecessarily when you’re in a wifi network.

Yes, the wifi is free there and there’s no password or approval necessary. I talked to a cop on duty and a manager at Delta who use it and both were perplexed as to why it wouln’t connect for me. The best the phone would confirm in the wifi was “Connected, no internet…”. I don’t get what that means exactly.

I guess as you suggested, I can try turning wifi off next time and go only with cell data until the Uber transaction is complete. My not being able to connect to Uber this time cost me 3+X more to get a ride home. So much for the cost savings of using Republic :disappointed:

In the case of public wifi this nearly always means you have to open a web browser, and then accept the terms and conditions of the network. I’ve yet to find an airport anywhere in the world that doesn’t require this.