One Particular App Stops Before Opening

Good Day! Yesterday I activated a new Moto E5 Play to replace my damaged Moto E4. I migrated everything from my old phone to my new one with no problems, but I have one single app that won’t open. I’ve cleared the cache, forced a stop, deleted the app and reinstalled same, and restarted my phone…nothing works! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance! Scott

Hi @scotts.0a2fbf,

There’s the possibility said app said app is somehow incompatible with your new E5 Play. As a starting point, would you be willing to identify the app in question?

1 Like

Roland,

Is it s: “Motif Investing”…I have a couple of brokerage accounts with them and I check my balances way more often than I should! It might be a blessing if it is incompatible with my new phone!

Thanks,

Scott

Hi @scotts.0a2fbf

You did everything I would have tried… now I’m gonna be guessing with you unless someone else chimes in :wink:
I looked at the Motif Inverting apps Play Store page and there is nothing that suggests it would not be usable on your phone. It does want some permission however. Try going back to the app and look and see if all of the permission are given. Here is what’s listed on its Play Store page:
This app needs access to:

Identity

• find accounts on the device

Contacts

• find accounts on the device

Phone

• read phone status and identity

Photos/Media/Files

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Device ID & call information

• read phone status and identity

Other

• receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • read Google service configuration

Maybe with these permissions in place it will open.

2 Likes

What an apropos typo for the state of the stock market :slight_smile:

lol, good catch @amitl! I’ll leave it for the giggle value :laughing:

1 Like

No luck…I checked all of the permissions and the app clises immediately upon trying to open it. I have over fifty apps loaded and this us the only one that won’t work! Oh well…

Hi @scotts.0a2fbf

I wonder if when you

That brought data over (moved over a data file or something used by Motif) to your new phone that is crashing the app when opening. I note you cleared cache, uninstalled, reinstalled … but if there was a file that was put elsewhere during that migration that Motif uses…maybe that is the problem. A tricky one indeed! (And don’t get me started on trying to trouble-shoot a financial app and using the word “crash” :grinning:)

You also might try contacting the app developer Motif Play Store
There is a service mail address at the bottom service@motif.com

Thanks, SuperT…I sent two emails to Motif already but have yet to receive a response from them. I’d hate to have to remove every app and reinstall same. Actually, that’s not going to happen! I can still go to their website and check my portfolios. As I stated in an earlier message, the availability of the app was making me check my balances WAY to often…this might be a blessing in disguise! On another note, the comment on my typo (Motif “Inverting”) was a good one… it’s certainly been a roller coaster ride in the markets for the last few months, but you eventually get “jaded” and learn to ride it out! I do appreciate your help with this issue.

Thanks Again!

Scott

@scotts.0a2fbf you’re most welcome. :relaxed:
Take care.

I was wondering if you still have the app installed on your old phone…does it work over there? Perhaps having it functional on two devices is messing things up…try and delete it from the other phone and see if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

Amitl,

BINGO…your suggestion worked! Thank you so much for helping me resolve this issue!

Scott

2 Likes

We’re relentless here! Thanks for sticking with all the suggestions and the typo banter!

1 Like

Amitl,

Good Day,

I spoke too soon regarding the Motif Investing app working…it worked for about an hour and then reverted back to closing instantly upon trying to open. Any other suggestions on how to remedy this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi @scotts.0a2fbf,

Before you continue troubleshooting this matter, I’d like to advise you on using our Member Community.

While you are receiving replies to your question by E-mail and responding by E-mail, the conversation is taking place publicly in our online Member Community where you posted your question, at https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/one-particular-app-stops-before-opening/25478.

Each time you’ve replied by E-mail, your full E-mail signature with lots of personal information has been included. Since this is publicly visible, I’ve been deleting that information from each post, but I’m about to leave for the day, and may not be available to do so the next time you reply.

Please either reply by logging back into the Community at the link above, or remove your signature before you send additional E-mail replies. We’d like to keep your personal information private! Thanks!

2 Likes

hmm… that’s too bad… I think at this point… it might be worthwhile to see what the developer has to say on the matter…if I can dream up any additional suggestions, will send them over.

Thank you for this information!

1 Like

Motif said “we offer no advice on third party apps”, to which I replied “there is no third party… it’s YOUR app”! I’ve gotten no further response from them!

1 Like

Seriously, that’s classic!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer