One year of Free Unlimited Data, talk and text at Sprint

I don’t think that’s it. We have a G5+ in our family and both the wifi calling on Republic and the cellular calling via the GSM partner, are great. Of course the Sprint calling quality could be different.

Generally, in my experience, WiFi calls properly implemented on a stable network are superior in quality to cellular calls. For me, this is true on both Republic phones and phones using T-Mobile’s native WiFi calling. I say properly implemented because when first implemented TMO’s WIFi calling was truly awful.

Couple of moving parts…so not an easy comparison…but for us moving from Moto X1 to Moto G5+ …call quality is better on WiFi and cellular. The cellular might have been
impacted by better GSM coverage in our area relative to Sprint.

Thanks for the feedback regarding call quality for the Moto G5 Plus, folks.

We just got two new G5 plus and sprint is telling me they are locked and the IMEI is not qualified for the free 1 year. I have had another friend do this just a few months ago and another on the forum have success. Shawnc.hfd9um or anyone can you offer some advice? Should I just keep calling and bugging them?

It looks like the CDMA SIM is preventing other carrier Sims from working, looks the workaround is to activate a Republic GSM sim then install the other carrier SIM

drm186,

If it ends up being a solution we need to hear what RW & @seanr has to say.

@jonb.oci92y if you take the route of trying a RW GSM SIM card you should only need one and swap between phones.

For what it’s worth, I’ve routinely switched other service provider’s GSM SIMs (domestic and international) into an otherwise Republic CDMA (Sprint) provisioned phone without issue.

The specific issue being encountered by @jonb.oci92y may be that he’s trying to move to Sprint proper and Sprint sees the phone(s) as already active on their network via Republic. I’m aware of instances where one Sprint MVNO needs to release a phone’s IMEI/MEID in order for the phone to be moved to another Sprint MVNO or Sprint proper. If something similar is being encountered here, raising a help ticket would get it resolved.

Theoretically, activating a Republic GSM SIM (because it simultaneously deactivates the CDMA SIM) might indeed work. While a potentially useful workaround, I don’t see it becoming an officially sanctioned means of resolving this.

Thank you, from what I read online it appears my new Moto g5 plus already has a gsm card. I argued with Sprint and told them I wanted the issue escalated. They created a ticket to have someone do something. They said call back in 3 days so I will try again on Monday. I have an old Moto x gen 2 and Moto E. I could try to stick those cards in it but I feel its more like what rolandh said. I need Sprint to release something.

If your Republic SIM is GSM, then the scenario I outlined is not the issue. Sounds like you’ve researched it but just in case; it’s easy enough to determine. If the public part of the word Republic is green, it’s GSM. Otherwise, it’s CDMA. If, indeed, it’s GSM, I’d have to say the issue is with Sprint not Republic.

Historically, Sprint hasn’t been good at activating unlocked devices not on its network. Recently, they’re getting better, however, they have a ways to go before matching GSM carriers or Verizon (which like Sprint is also CDMA).

The SIMs from your Moto E and Moto X2 are unlikely to help. In fact, if that Moto E is a 1st Generation model, it doesn’t have a SIM. While the X2 does, it’s married to that specific phone and won’t work in any other phone.

Well I was wrong. They are CDMA cards and I have been round and round with sprint. They can’t activate because it appears the IMEI numbers is already registered with Sprint. They can’t get me to tech support because I don’t have a number registered with my new sprint account. I have been transferred in circles 3 times. We can’t figure out if the chicken or the egg came first. I am not giving up yet but they are beating me down. Will update when I have more. Thank you for your help.

Would I need to raise a ticket with Republic Wireless to release my phones IMEI ? I assume they are a Sprint MVNO and I am trying to go to sprint proper.

Have you tried carrier wiping the phone (dial ##72786#)?

Hi @jonb.oci92y -

If your phone with Republic is setup on Sprint, you will need to do 1 of 2 things to deactivate it from Sprint’s system:

1. Deactivate your phone from your Republic account by activating a different phone, or
  2. Move your current phone to our GSM service

Once it is no longer active on Sprint in our system, you’ll be able to activate it on Sprint retail service.

I have a moto x gen 2 and a moto g3 but I think they are both CDMA so I assume they won’t work. Can u send me a GSM Sim for the Moto g5 plus so I can activate it. Can I use the same Sim on both phones?

I’ll send you a direct message @jonb.oci92y :slight_smile:

Looks like it’s now one of two official fixes.

:flight_departure:

That was it. installed the GSM cards and activated. Then I was able to move it to sprint. Thank you everyone.

The fine print also says the “free year” starts after 2 months of regular service. Looks like at $60/month. plus $32.** fee. Your would have $132 plus whatever else before the “free year”. I called and they were deceptive about how long the contract was (by deceptive I mean didn’t answer at all)… I for one don’t like deceptive… been here since beta, happy, and I will be staying…

Never paid anything beyond the initial $15 for the SIM card and monthly taxes for the first 2 months of service. However, after that, Sprint tacked on a $2.00 monthly admin fee. My total bill now is less than $6.00/mo.

Pros with Sprint: the “free” service & you get free data and text +$0.20/min calling in most international locations.

Cons with Sprint: no WiFi calling or LTE Calling Plus (for HD VoIP phone calls and simultaneous data/phone usage). Your phone calls and texts go over their 1xRTT system, which sounds a bit better than the other carriers’ 1xRTT,but certainly not the quality as RW’s WiFi Calling or other carriers’ LTE calling systems.