Only 3 phone compatible for my area!

I am shocked upon checking to find only three phones available to purchase are compatible for service for me?? I haven’t looked for quite sometime and can hardly believe that this is the case, as the last time I looked I had many options. Why would my coverage get worse!?

RW’s current focus is on the 3.0 plans, for which the mobile network provider is a GSM carrier (T-Mo). The previous plans were on the CDMA carrier (Sprint) network. I think there are plans to offer more Sprint plans (and phones) in the months ahead.

2 Likes

the number of phone compatible with the CDMA partner (Sprint) will increase once Republic and that partner fix a technical issue with activating the newer ISIM that many of the New Phones are using (Moto G5S Plus, Moto E4, Moto E4 Plus, Moto Z2 Play (BYOD), Moto X4, Samsung Galaxy S8 (BYOD), Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (BYOD) , Pixel 2 (BYOD), and Pixel 2 XL (BYOD))
it’s expected that the fix will come latter this year (but that’s not guaranteed)

4 Likes

This is a temporary situation. Due to a technology change by Sprint in how the SIM in the newer phones work, Republic has not been able to add the newer phones to the Sprint network. This is expected to change by the end of the year.

In addition, while not seamless, you could do the following:

1. Purchase one of the following phones: Moto X Pure, Moto G4, Moto G4 Play, Moto G4+, Moto G5+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Google Pixel, and Google Pixel XL.

2. Activate with a BYOP SIM (which won’t have great coverage in your area).

3. Open a ticket and ask that your phone be moved to CDMA for coverage reasons.

2 Likes

Just a little info .When I got my Moto5G + from RW I did the coverage check bit,held my hopes that it would come with cdma sim an it did. so have had nary a problem an great service from the phone. The TMO service is a touch an go in my area.
Morris

1 Like

Ok, so maybe ridiculous question, but does RW use my home address area as the deciding factor for phone compatibility, bc at home I’m always on wifi. I live in a bad area for cell coverage and have always had issues…even now my husband has his phone with Consumer Cellular and he cannot use it at all at home. So my point is if the large city I am always in were used for my available coverage I would think more phones would be okay? Does this make sense?

Hi @patriciag.oom1hn

You can set the ZIP code the coverage checker uses at the following link:

https://republicwireless.com/coverage/

Then you can go to the store and see the selection of phones that work with the ZIP code you specified.

1 Like

I am a real cheapskate. I liked the good ol’ days when phone service was a mere $30 bucks a month. Now I pay $35 just to have home wifi. Granted my total RW bill for 2 phones only comes to about $55, but the combine total plus another non RW phone is a grand total of about $120 a month!! That is just ridiculous to me. So I have had my 1st Gen Moto X for almost 4yrs. It’s limping along; only bought my daughter Moto X2 used for $100 that has had battery issues since day one. Of course that is another expense, constantly purchasing phones!! I am very tempted to buy the $49 Huawei phone for her to get her off my back bc all her friends somehow have I phones!! Just saying, that’s my rant!

Hi @patriciag.oom1hn.

Sometimes battery issues come from poor coverage or from poorly written apps on the phone. Would you like the Community to troubleshoot with you or her to see if awareness of either of those factors might improve your daughter’s battery life?

I’m reasonably certain that moving her from a Moto X 2nd Gen to the Ascend will not be an improvement, and will not help her feel any more aligned with her iPhone friends.

2 Likes

I’ll agree the phone isn’t a step-up from the X2, BUT it IS more iPhone-esque both in physical design AND the EMUI launcher that is the stock look and feel of the phone is VERY iPhone like with no app drawer and iPhone like icons.

Having both an Ascend 5W and iPhones in the household, I would have to concur. On the software side, Huawei’s EMUI is arguably the most iOS like Android variant out there. From a hardware performance standpoint, the X2 is much more on par with iPhone hardware.

Of currently supported phones on Republic, one of the Samsungs other than the J3 would provide the most iPhone like experience, however, they do come with more iPhone like price tags.

Wow!!! Yes, that would be fantastic to get help with the battery issue. I am certain if she didn’t have that issue she would be happy, but I do know that it barely stays charged and powers off at about 40% charged?

Should I explain more here or start a new question? I’ll wait for your instruction, thank you so much!!

1 Like

I think a new topic would be an excellent idea - there may be different, more technical, Community members interested in helping with a battery issue, who might not even click to read a question about the number of phones available to our members in certain coverage areas.

1 Like
closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer