Out for a year-transfer

If I’m going to be out of the country for one year can I cancel my Republic Wireless line and save my number for next year?

If you’re traveling on military orders, you should open up a support ticket as Republic should be able to help get this taken care of for you. Otherwise, your best bet is likely going to be to port your number to a service like Number Barn or Google Voice that will let you preserve it at a relatively low cost. When you return, all you’d need to do is reactivate your Republic phone as a new line of service and port your number back to it.

If you happen to own a 1.0/2.0 device (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1, E2) then another option would be to reduce your plan to the $5/month plan which will continue to allow you to use your phone (and in turn, protect your phone number) whenever on WiFi. I’ve used Republic phones on WiFi in a number of international destinations with great success and, while it may be tough to justify the $15/ month minimum plan on the 3.0 phones, I can make a pretty solid case for going this route when the $5 plan is an option.

Finally, as a smidge of fine print, be aware that if your phone is by chance a Defy XT (BETA phone) you’ll need to upgrade if you deactivate it and wish to return to Republic. The Defy XT can sadly no longer be reactivated (RIP ) due to technical limitations associated with Republic’s rollout of the 3.0 system.

I have a moto e 2nd gen.is that a Beta phone?

the Defy XT is the Beta phone, only currently active one can be used on republic once the Defy is deactivated it a mini tablet only

the Moto E 2nd Gen is a Legacy phone (it also has the $5 plan option of a WiFi only and number hold (a good deal compared to other number parking services)

is it true that all phones (specifically the moto e 2nd gen) are unlocked but are not compatible with any other carrier?

Yes, it is unlocked but is not compatible with any other services.

Hi @ruvip.nw6w26,

You and @mb2x are quite correct. Here’s Republic’s word on the matter: Are Republic Wireless Phones Locked or Unlocked?

all Legacy Phones are this way (Moto X 1st, 2nd, Moto G 1st, 3rd, Moto E 1st and 2nd)

all 3.0 phones are unlocked and unmodified and can be used on any carrier willing to activate them

would this phone work with republic wireless? http://www.ebay.com/itm/262968763894?ul_noapp=true

It says the correct model but the following line make me think it’s a Verizon or Sprint model re-flashed with the North American Factory Unlocked ROM and it may have issues working on Republic

WILL NOT WORK WITH SPRINT OR VERIZON NETWORK

Moderator’s note: content edited for formatting

Likely you are correct. Presuming that’s the case, the phone should (no guarantee) work with Republic’s GSM network partner but CDMA (Sprint) coverage wouldn’t be an option.

@ruvip.nw6w26, while the price isn’t as attractive, BestBuy has unlocked S7 refurbs here: unlocked s7 - Best Buy. You’ll pay more but know you’re getting the genuine article. Additionally, Best Buy’s refurbs come with a 90-day warranty parts and labor.

Message an
Expert customer