Overseas for two weeks

What phone do you have? Moto G

What plan are you on? The one where I get refunded for data I don’t use (grandfathered, and the main reason I’ve delayed getting a new phone)

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? data

I don’t have an issue yet; I’m just wondering what’s the best way to travel with my Moto G to Germany I know from experience that WiFi isn’t as available over there, and due to the nature of my role (teacher leading a student trip) I would like to be connected more often than not. Would you recommend I purchase a hot spot or just pay for two weeks of wireless T-Mobile access?

Thanks!

The old Moto g is not able to use any other SIM, a hotspot may be a good option or perhaps renting a phone over there

I’ve traveled to Europe twice with students since I switched to RW. I’ve found that there is a lot of public wifi all over the place, especially in urban Germany. Both Munich and Berlin had plenty of wifi access, and I think I even found some in Dresden.

One of my colleagues used T-Mobile while we were there, and found that text messaging was expensive (like early 2000s prices).

Honestly, I’ve found the not being connected refreshing, but we did always have a tour guide with us who had a working phone.

1 Like

Hi @kimberlys.yyg54i,

Welcome back to our Community!

When’s your trip?

What phone are you planning to use for the two weeks of T-Mobile? The Moto G is not compatible with T-mobile.

Maybe what you have is something you could use with a local SIM card that includes data in Germany. (I used Lebara when I was in France and couldn’t find anything not to love about it, but I don’t know if that’s an option for you in Germany.)

Then you’d have a phone that works for local calling and texting (which I found I needed more than I thought), data for looking things up on the internet, keeping up with your E-mail, and navigation, and you could use the X Pure to tether - set it up as a hotspot for the Moto G, allowing you to stay in touch with parents and others in the US.

2 Likes

I will be using the Moto G. Last time I was able to pay to connect to T-Mobile’s WiFi network for a fee (I think it was $15 a week); that’s what I meant by connecting to T-Mobile (“Telekom” in Germany). The Moto G does not support any other SIM cards, so that’s not an option. I’m looking for ways to stay connected to the Internet while I’m traveling; cell service is not an option.

Hi @kimberlys.yyg54i,

Presuming the service is still available and there isn’t sufficient publicly available WiFi, connecting to paid WiFi supplied by T-Mobile or Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile’s corporate parent) sounds like a viable option.

A compatible hotspot would be more mobile and is also a viable option. Those may be rented as well as purchased.

This might be of interest: International Travel with a Republic Phone.

Thanks; I’d already read through the RW statement. Do you have any information on how to rent/purchase a hot spot? The only one I’ve looked at so far was $200 for two weeks. No way am I paying that.

I’m uncertain what “RW statement” you refer to. The Community article I linked isn’t official documentation. I wrote it as a contribution to the Community. :slightly_smiling_face:

The reason I linked it is it contains some information on these folks: https://www.cellularabroad.com/phone-rentals-internat. They rent both phones and hotspots. It’s been a while since I looked at their pricing but it’s worth checking out.

For purchasing a hotspot, I’m uncertain what you’re willing to spend but this one is highly rated:

You might do better on price waiting to buy in Germany.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer