Payback plans, are they still around?

If they are not around is there only these options listed as plans? And they dont credit you back data? And just to confirm you only use T-Mobile then?

Is there a difference between your service and Project FI which has 3 towers (Us Cellular, T-Mobile, and Sprint) but it does cost a little more $20 unlimited talk and text and $10 a gig.

Thanks for you time as I decide what to do.

Only legacy models qualify for the outstanding Republic Refund plan and these phones only work with Sprint. The best of these are the Moto X (1st Gen), Moto X (2nd Gen) and Moto G (3rd Gen). These models are usually available on eBay and Swappa.

The Phones you see in the Phones section and the current plans in the Plans section are what is available now. These phones work with T-Mobile. Some of them work with both GSM (T-Mobile) and CDMA (Sprint) but at this time new customers are sent the GSM configuration.

They do not and most likely will not work like Fi. The phone will be configured for GSM only (now) and GSM OR CDMA at some time in the near future.

Going forward (hopefully in just a few days) you will study both maps, select a phone compatible with the best coverage, select the Phone that will work with that coverage at a price you like, and order the phone.

Here are links to the coverage maps:

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp

Thank you for your well written response. My question is have you used the 2.0 plans as well as the 3.0 plan?

I have a lead on a Moto X Second generation that I might purchase which is on the Sprint plan and offers the payback. But looking at the map it looks like they might not be as good as T-Mobile? Not sure if that is true or not, because Sprint seems to say they do a really good job, but is that the true Sprint because they then Rome on other towers?

If there are no Sprint towers on the 2.0 plan do they Rome on other towers as well or they only cover Sprint towers?

Thanks

I recently switched from a Moto X (2nd Gen) that was on the 2.0 plan to a Samsung Galaxy S7 on a 3.0 plan. The Moto X (2nd Gen) was a fine phone. I handed it down to my granddaughter who likes very much too.

Unless you live in MN or ND my coverage experience is of little value to you. At my home both the Sprint and the T-Mobile coverage are marginal. Just a few miles away both improve. The granddaughter I mentioned lives where there is no Sprint coverage but she calls and texts while roaming on Verizon when she is away from WiFi.

One big difference in my area is that Sprint seems to roam on all Verizon towers. T-Mobile roams on some AT&T towers. When looking at the T-Mobile map select the Samsung S7 and drop a pin in places you frequent. If it says the coverage is “fair” and will work in some homes my experience is that they should have called it “Marginal” and said it would rarely work in most homes.

Hi @n.7y98p1

If you don’t mind…

GSMn.7y98p1 wrote:

Thank you for your well written response. My question is have you used the 2.0 plans as well as the 3.0 plan?

Oh yes, I am confident about that.

I have a lead on a Moto X Second generation that I might purchase which is on the Sprint plan and offers the payback.

You are confirming that it is a RW Moto X 2nd Generation?.

But looking at the map it looks like they might not be as good as T-Mobile?

Tricky question as the maps for major carriers are often very optimistic. For me personally, the maps between the GSM and CDMA carriers appear mostly identical until you zoom in close…(I happen to be in a bad GSM pocket).

Not sure if that is true or not, because Sprint seems to say they do a really good job, but is that the true Sprint because they then Rome on other towers?

Post the zip code for your common areas and there may be members that can advise you on the coverage.

If there are no Sprint towers on the 2.0 plan do they Rome on other towers as well or they only cover Sprint towers?

It would be important to verify by ‘roaming’ you mean cellular data or voice/text.

Thanks

Hope it helps.

I also like the old Moto G first generation phones with 16 GBs of memory. The battery can be replaced by an average do-it-yourself individual. Just stay away from the 8 GB models unless you plan to just use it as a phone. Otherwise, you will only be able to load a couple of apps before it runs out of memory.