Phone and computer won't communicate

moto x / pc running Win10

when I plug my phone into my pc, the pc does not show it under devices/drives or give any other promp regarding a connection.
all other devices are recognized and functioning properly
I have tried connecting with both the “MTP” and “PTP” settings on the phone…
also tried “add a device” from “Control Panel” on pc. It says “no devices found”.

also, the physical connection I’m assuming is fine b/c the phone does charge while plugged into usb

anyone know how I might fix this?

0 Likes

Hi @jamesb.r04llc,

Which version of the Moto X is it?

Have you tried a different cable? Some cables are for charging only and will not allow the computer to recognize that an external data source has been connected.

2 Likes

yes… I did, but I just tried another and that was it.
had no idea some cables were only for charging…

are there any indicators on the cable that differentiate?

0 Likes

I don’t believe there’s any standard that you can count on to indicate whether the cable is for charging-only, data-only, or both. It is usually indicated on the package when you buy a cable, but I’ve only seen a few where it is also indicated on the cable.

I’m glad it was something easy to solve!

2 Likes

This problem nearly drove me crazy with my most recent phones.
With my older Moto G1, when I plugged it into my iMac, the Android icon would turn into a Motorola icon, and it told me that it was checking for an upgrade. When finished, it would go away and just sit there. I figured out that after it checked for the upgrade, I needed to unplug, then re-plug the USB connection which then got me to the files window. This upgrade check would happen everyday, so I got used to the plug-unplug-replug routine.
Until I got my Moto G5+. Then the phone would just sit there. No checking for upgrade…nothing. Then I learned that once plugged in, I had to go to the local screen and swipe down from the top. There it was! By default the phone was in the charging mode, and I had to select file transfers to get the files window back on my iMac.

It seems that each phone has it’s own way of doing things.

2 Likes

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer