Phone completely shut down for 30 minutes today

My Moto G5 Plus went to complete black out today from 11:50am to 12:20pm EDT. I removed the SIM card multiple times and nothing happened. All buttons and fingerprint sensor non-workable during the time frame above. Did we have a global outage? Please let me know if you have any information :blush: :grin: Frustrating :unamused:

Hi @maryanner,

To the best of my knowledge there were no outages global or local related to Republic’s network nor would one explain the symptoms you describe if there were one.

What you describe suggests an issue on the phone not one related with your Republic service. Candidly, I’m uncertain where to go from here as if things are currently working as expected, there’s nothing to troubleshoot at the moment.

2 Likes

My best guess would be a misbehaving app that rendered the phone unusable and then somehow recovered from that state.

Was this issue accompanied by a sudden drop in battery level… If so…you can take a look
at Settings -> Battery -> Usage Details
and see if it shows one or more apps that might have had abnormal battery usage during that time.

3 Likes

Thank YOU so very much for your response. I am solely dependent on my cell phone and without a home phone so this was unsettling to say the least. I’m a RW member for 5 years and this has never happened before… Again, thanks for your time and effort in responding.

1 Like

Hi, nothing was going on and battery was at 94%… I’m a RW member for 5 years and this is the first time something like this ever happened… Phone is working at full throttle since 12:20pm EDT and I guess I’ll chalk it up to the cellular Gods :wink:

Hi @maryanner,

You’re most welcome though I wish there was more insight I might offer but that’s a challenge when whatever the issue was is no longer occurring (and hopefully continues not to occur).

If my phone were to suffer the symptoms you describe in the future, the first thing I’d try is a forced restart of the phone. If needed in the future, that’s done by holding the power button down for up to two minutes releasing the power button when the screen flashes or the phone vibrates.

Again, this is intended as potentially useful future advice not something to be done as preventive maintenance. What is worthy of consideration as preventive maintenance is a standard restart of the phone. On your Moto G5 Plus that’s accomplished by holding the power button down until you see the options to restart or power down the phone, then tapping restart.

The reality is these devices we call smartphones are really handheld computers. Just as their larger cousins do, they benefit from being refreshed with a periodic restart.

5 Likes

I tried everything you described and the phone was completely off :crazy_face: I absolutely agree with you on restarting my phone and even powering off completely from time to time. This was a first for me and wanted to check if there was any RW issue. Phone is working and I’m grateful for your time and effort in helping me with this. Have a great week :tada:

2 Likes

You might want to look at our Extend Home feature. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for the Extend Home Adapter

This feature that is a free feature with My Choice plans would allow you to use your Republic Number to ring a standard residential phone independently of your cell phone. Like having multiple phones on the same number. Might give you peace of mind. The adapter is sold in our store.

2 Likes

I was thinking about it too :wink: Thank YOU :blush:

1 Like

I received my Extend Home adapter last week. I am very pleased with it. So far I’ve connected it to a single corded phone. My plan is to connect it to my four-phone cordless Panasonic and cancel my landline service. I’ll probably port over my landline phone number to my new cell network.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer