Phone forgets wi-fi passwords and bluetooth, and optimizes apps

Info

Phone Brand : Motorola
Phone Model : Moto X 2nd gen
Plan : Republic Refund 0.5GB
Plan Data : Yes

Issue Description

I have several issues, maybe related:

1. every couple of months it seems the phone forgets all wi-fi passwords.
  2. the phone no longer, or rarely, connects to Bluetooth devices (like my car, or my home cordless phone).
  3. occasionally It wants to optimize all my apps before booting. Unfortunately, this seems to use battery
    faster then it can charge, so the phone will die before completing if I start the process while on a charger with less then 10 or 15% battery left.
  4. sometimes it shuts down due to no battery, but when I plug it in for a minute and turn it on it says it has something like 19%.

This is an easy one to keep from happening. Do not restart the phone while connected to the charger. Unplug and then turn the phone on.

every couple of months it seems the phone forgets all wi-fi passwords.

This is a known Google issue.

the phone no longer, or rarely, connects to Bluetooth devices (like my car, or my home cordless phone).

This might be caused by an app. See if it happens in Safe Mode. If it persists, clear the cache.

occasionally It wants to optimize all my apps before booting. Unfortunately, this seems to use battery

I think you have a Moto X (1st Gen) with this known problem. You can work around it by not starting the phone when it is plugged into the charger.

faster then it can charge, so the phone will die before completing if I start the process while on a charger with less then 10 or 15% battery left.
sometimes it shuts down due to no battery, but when I plug it in for a minute and turn it on it says it has something like 19%.

The phone holds onto the last 20% if the charge to facility the next startup.

I have the Moto X 2 from 2014 and also have been experiencing the same issues as you. The white screen with the empty bolt pops up, which makes me go hold the top button to see what’s going on, and that’s when I see the blue battery screen with plenty of energy showing…85% and more. Then that white screen empty bolt pops up, showing hardly any energy…Red level with 2-7%, for instance. I press the top button again and see the blue level battery still showing at 85% and more?? So the blue motorola start screen and usual buzz happens, then white empty screen interrupts, popping up again, and I again hit thetopsidebutton and get the blue Motorola logo/buzz again… this cycle i do over and over…I eventually set the phone down, frustrated…Then I notice it’s optimizing all the apps, which can take about 10-12??? minutes… I read some people believe this odd constant crashing and optimizing apps occurs with the MotoX 2nd gen because the firmware for the phone is Lollipop 5.1 and will not be updated to anything beyond Lollipop5.1. Neither RW nor Motorola, who made my 32gb phone, specifically, are ever going to update the firmware beyond Lollipop 5.1… Yes, plugging in the charger ALWAYS affects my phone, with an interupting crash…Then empty white bolt, hit button, then full blue battery, hit button, then logo/buzz flash up, then optimize all apps…Then activate all apps…Then you have to be very careful to not knock out the charging cord ever…Even when you know it has 85%+ charge…
And NOW today it says SIm Error? I have never messed with the sim card ever in this phone…I read to check the sim card seating… What? Never touched the sim ever…Someone else commented they think the random odd sim error??? message is related to Facebook’s messenger app? Crazy new thing…
I read someone’s experience with this random crashing and optimization and odd energy levels went away…When their phone got updated from lollipop 5.1 to something newer…But the MotoX2 will forever be at it’s highest firmware level of Lollipop 5.1. and that is sad…

Hi I get the sim card error too, and a friend who also gets it reported it to republic (He has 1st gen moto X). he was told that it can be safely ignored. It has nothing to do with Facebook though, because neither of us have facebook accounts or any facebook apps.

There is an issue with older phones (Moto X1, G1, E1 etc…) where you get a SIM error when restarting your phone. The phone works fine it just pops the error. It is a known issue but it does not affect the phone.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.