Phone has pop up that says "Google keeps stopping"

(I have a Moto G4 play) So my phone was acting just fine earlier today, but now it keeps getting this pop-up that says “Google keeps stopping”. I can’t click “close app” because the phone glitches and the message keeps popping up. Here’s what I’ve tried:

1. Restarting my phone, but now when I try to unlock it, the background flashes to black and back again with that message popping up over and over

2. Taking the battery out and putting it back in

3. Force restarting the phone and selecting “clear cache partition”

Nothing else is working. I can access stuff from the tray and if someone texts me I can reply from the notification screen, but I can’t get into my phone to use any apps. I REALLY don’t want to factory reset my phone. Can someone please help me?

Hi @jennab.u1mf3x,

Candidly, you’ve already tried pretty much everything short of a factory reset that might fix this. The popup just says Google has stopped? Or, does it say Google something like Google Play services has stopped?

1 Like

It literally says “Google has stopped” or if it keeps popping up it says “Google keeps stopping”. :frowning:

Hi @jennab.u1mf3x,

Thank you for the additional context. If your phone will cooperate, you might try the following:

1. Open Settings by swiping down from the top of the phone.
  2. Scroll to, then tap apps.
  3. Scroll to, then tap Google.
  4. Tap Clear Cache.
  5. Tap Manage Space.
  6. Tap Clear All Data.
  7. Restart your phone.
2 Likes

Ok I actually figured it out. I was fiddling around with it and I went into Settings, Apps, then I found “Google” and clicked on it. I then tapped “App details” at the very bottom and it took me to the play store (otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to open the Play Store because my phone was glitching every time I tried to go to the app screen). Then I uninstalled all the updates and re-installed them. It worked! @rolandh thanks for your quick response.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer