Phone noise sounds like static discharge

I have a fairly new Moto E 2nd gen phone and all of a sudden it’s making this scratchy discharge sound even though I don’t have anything running and recently if I’m playing music on Bluetooth or earbuds if I unplug the earbuds or disconnect from the Bluetooth about a minute later the music continues to play coming out of the phones speaker and I know that’s not right. Is it time for Republic to send me a replacement for the replacement?

0 Likes

The original Moto E 2nd gen you purchased had a 1 year warranty. The replacement had any warranty remaining on the original phone. Considering this, is your phone still under warranty?

0 Likes

I guess not then but why did they send me a defective phone to replace a defective phone??

0 Likes

Only had this phone about 4 months

0 Likes

If you had it 4 months and this problem just started then it would seem the phone wasn’t defective when they sent it to you… Actually, I think RW was trying to help you out here. The warranty is through Motorola, not RW.

There are a few other possibilities. If you use the audio output jack a lot it might have failed. There have been a number of jack failures on various models reported to this Community. It is also possible those is a software issue. Let’s address those.

Lets start with the possibility this a software issue. To check that I’d first run the phone in Safe Mode for a day or two. If everything works normally you know the problem is caused by an app you installed. In Safe Mode only the native apps are functional… If the problem persists in Safe Mode you could clear the cache and test again. If it persists you could factory reset it.

If the problem persists after a factory reset then there is an internal failure, most likely the audio output jack itself. Then you have two options, repair or replacement. Motorola might have a repair (exchange actually) service on that model however it is kinda long in the tooth and they might have quit doing that for the Moto E (2nd Gen). RW might have a B-Stock phone they will sell you at a reduced cost. I recently got a B-Stock Moto X (2nd Gen) from them for one of my granddaughters and it was like new. Typically a B-Stock phone is one that was returned during the 14-day money back return privilege.

In either case, please let us know how this turned out for you.

Bill

1 Like

My music goes to playing on the speaker when I shut off the blue tooth. How does that happen?

0 Likes

For several years I connected my Moto X (1st Gen) and my Moto X (2nd Gen) to my car stereo over Bluetooth. From time-to-time, when I turned my car off, my music would start playing over the phone’s speaker. It didn’t always do this but I’d estimate it did it 10 times over four year.

The way my Bluetooth behaved changed with each Motorola update but it still happened a time or two with my X2 after I upgraded to Lollipop. I don’t think Motorola has quite figured Bluetooth out. I have a Samsung S7 now and the Bluetooth is flawless.

0 Likes

Can confirm this on my old Moto X2. Always made sure to stop the music and then disconnect Bluetooth or I risk blasting music when I no longer wanted it.

1 Like

My original phone never did this and I play music whenever I’m out of the house.

Burusutazu
November 16 |
Can confirm this on my old Moto X2. Always made sure to stop the music and then disconnect Bluetooth or I risk blasting music when I no longer wanted it.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to post a public response in our Community.

In Reply To

billg
November 15 |
For several years I connected my Moto X (1st Gen) and my Moto X (2nd Gen) to my car stereo over Bluetooth. From time-to-time, when I turned my car off, my music would start playing over the phone’s speaker. It didn’t always do this but I’d estimate it did it 10 times over four year. The way my Bl…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to post a public response in our Community.

0 Likes

The first generations of Moto Phones had very questionable quality control as evident by the numerous help threads on the forums. There are a number of factors in it but I would just calk it down as the luck of the draw.

As for the scratchy speaker noises… This can be caused by a number of things…

• Rogue Apps
  • Damage (Water most likely if damage is the case, even raindrops or sweat.)

@billg Has pointed out the steps needed to troubleshoot rogue apps or any other software problems. You can try and reduce interference by moving away from things that cause interference with speaker wire like microwaves and computers. You can always try and create a help ticket if you want help directly from Republic. However, as the phone is nearing 3 years old (even if you only had it 4 months) there might not be much they can do for you.

1 Like

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer