Phone Number Being Spoofed?

Hello. Recently, I’ve had multiple callers who I have never talked to before saying that my number just called them. I’ve tried to research about this online and the only thing I can find is that my phone number has been spoofed. The only real answer I found online was to change your phone number (which is daunting, since I’ve had this phone number forever).

a. Has anyone heard of phone spoofing?
b. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change your phone number with Republic?

Thank you in advance!

I’ve had spammers spoof both my phone number and my e-mail address. My best advice is to ignore it, it will likely go away. The spammers will find a new phone number to spoof shortly.

3 Likes

Hi @lilya.b6gy97 and welcome to the Community!

To directly answer your questions:

Sadly, many of us have.

It is possible to change one’s phone number, however, I concur with @cbwahlstrom the best path forward is to wait it out. He is correct that, generally, the spoofers move on to another number in short order. For informational purposes, Republic describes changing your number here:

2 Likes

Thank you both! I will wait a few days and see if things die down.

3 Likes

I received a junk call. The caller ID was MY NAME and the number was MY PHONE NUMBER. You can’t call yourself, so this was obviously a spoofed call.

Only danger is you may get put on a junk call list if it continues.

I have had the same thing happen to me. I changed my voice mail to say if the caller got a call from this number, I did not call you my number is being spoofed. I do NOT answer ANY call from a number I do not know which forces people to hear my voice mail message. This seems to work well for me.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer