My Moto X with Republic Wireless suddently restarts and runs through 115 application optimization. Then it skipped the optimization and continually went through Motorola splash screens. What should I do?
The optimization most likely results from a defect introduced with the Lollipop upgrade. There are two ways to work around it:
If the phone is plugged into the charger just press the power button for 2 seconds and release it. Stare at the phone for 20 seconds and it will boot without optimizing apps.
Unplug the phone from the charger before booting it.
In addition to this defect the optimization can repeat if there is an app on the phone that will not optimize. In this case the only work-around is uninstalling the offending app.
Looping on the splash screens is not related to the aforementioned defect an is indicative of a more serious problem. If I were facing this I would attempt an external factory reset with the phone unplugged from the charger but with at least a 50% charge.
- With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
- Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
- Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
- The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
- While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
- Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
- Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.