Phone ringtone keeps going to None

Settings > Sounds > Phone ringtone keeps going back to None, but I have Do not disturb turned Off. I still get notifications, and all three volumes are set high, but I don’t know how the Ringtone keeps getting and staying on None. I don’t see any Do not disturb settings that should affect it when Do not disturb is turned off. Is this connected to a recent update? My Moto G5s Plus is on Android 8.1.0 and Current version: OPSS28.65-36-3 and Security patch level: October 1, 2018 and says it is up-to-date.

Hi @marvins.kxdmns

I’ll take a crack at this… some searching on this issue has pointed to the “ring” doorbell app being installed. Do you by chance have that installed? If so it was recommended to uninstall/reinstall it on a few posts. On this one however they had some tweaking of the app (Ring) setting. See last (bottom) entry:
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1-Compact/Ringtone-keeps-resetting-itself-to-quot-none-quot/td-p/1285463

2 Likes

Yes, we did recently install a Ring Doorbell and its app.

I would try this (as per my link above)
" Go to the general phone settings and from there to ‘apps & notifications’, '>see all apps, go to the desired app, in this case ‘ring’, then go lower to ‘Advanced’, click on ‘Advanced’ and then you can find ‘Modify system settings’ and set it to ‘not allowed’ "

Now (again said in the post) it is unknown if this will break a feature of the Ring Doorbell. But it’s worth a try since you can always switch the setting back. :wink:

1 Like

I think that link provides valuable advice: “It seems that whenever the motion detector was triggered, for some reason…my system settings [changed] with the result of the phone ringtone (only the phone incoming call ringtone) switching to ‘none’. So in this case, in the app info / settings, within the ring camera app, I deactivated the automatic permission for ‘Modify system settings’ (this setting is NOT under permissions which makes it a bit more difficult to find. Go to the general phone settings and from there to ‘apps & notifications’, '>see all apps, go to the desired app, in this case ‘ring’, then go lower to ‘Advanced’, click on ‘Advanced’ and then you can find ‘Modify system settings’ and set it to ‘not allowed’. So far I do not know what else the deactivation might trigger in ring version 3.8.0, but so far the system continues to work and my ringtone seems to be back and remain active.” I think you’re onto something there!

1 Like

Ding Dong! :joy:
Hi @marvins.kxdmns, I was wondering if the door bell app was indeed the issue and you were able to get the ringtone set and to stay.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer