Phone says Emergency calls Only what I have coverage

I am having this same problem with my Moto E4. I have tried everything that most people say to do and nothing works. I can’t even call or text from wifi. Please help!

Why does my phone say emergency calls only when I have a good internet signal

If you have done the standard troubleshooting steps…then I would recommend submiting a help ticket - clearly stating that the phone is non-functional so that it receives the attention it deserves.

Since your post was linked to an issue that had very little detail, I have split it to your own discussion. Please provide more information so we can try to help.

1. When do you have this show-up? When you are out and about or on WiFi?
  2. Any specific areas?
  3. What does your signal strength show?
  4. Did this ever work or is the issue new? When did it start?
  5. If you have multiple phones and the others work fine? What are they? Are they a mix of GSM and CDMA?

my phone says I can make emergency calls only - this changed from working correctly, just this morning. how do I fix this?

it no longer connects to wi-fi, I see, so signal strength is on 1 bar

I too am having issues with Emergency calls only however I don’t seem to have coverage in these places. I am also seeing an error saying something like Voice service is not available in this area.

1. When do you have this show-up? When you are out and about or on WiFi?
    Both.
  2. Any specific areas?
    Mostly in buildings.
  3. What does your signal strength show?
    0 bars there is no signal.
  4. Did this ever work or is the issue new? When did it start?
    This is a persistent issue for me started when I got my republic wireless sim card.
  5. If you have multiple phones and the others work fine? What are they? Are they a mix of GSM and CDMA?
    This is my only republic phone (GSM) but my sprint(deactivated but still gets signal, CDMA) phone doesn’t have these issues.

Wifi works for me.

This seems like a clear-cut case where the GSM coverage in your area doesn’t have the strength to penetrate the buildings you are entering. When there is no cellular signal, your phone may display the emergency calling message, despite wifi coverage, because this is the only type of coverage you’ll have on cellular (through a network you don’t have access to).

I would guess that your area is either 1) In an area that the partner defines as “fair” which means no coverage in buildings. Or 2) In an area with better than fair coverage, but where the coverage is provided by LTE Band 4, which penetrates buildings very poorly.

I don’t think you said what phone you have, but if one that can be moved to CDMA, that may be the solution.

I have a Google Pixel XL. You are right my area is defined as “fair” coverage or “fairly non existent” coverage as I like to call it. To make matters worse you are also right that it is LTE band 4 which I checked both on my phone and online with coverage maps. I already submitted a support ticked however I am yet to hear back from them 24+ hours since my last response. I stopped adding additional information to the support ticket after I read on these forums that every time that I post the ticket gets moved further and further back in the queue.

Thanks for your quick reply.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.