Phone screen broke. How can I transfer texts and contacts to new phone?

What phone do you have?
Moto E
What plan are you on?
My choice 1GB
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Data with talk and text.

Issue Description

My phone screen broke such that I cannot use it anymore. I had the number transferred to another phone, and am wondering how to access my texts and contacts from the old phone. They were backed up to google in December, and I don’t know how to access them from Drive. Also is there anyway to access the non-backed up texts and contacts from phone memory (are there records elsewhere through my phone number that can be accessed)?

Hi @sunild.v8ceg8

If you sync both your old and new phones to the same Google account, that should move your contacts to your new phone.

Using a computer and browser, login to your Google account at the following link:

https://contacts.google.com/?hl=en&tab=rC1

If you see your contacts, adding that Google account to the new phone should move your Contacts there.

As for texts, Google does not automatically back those up so you need to do that yourself. If you do not have a backup, you can recover the past 30 days of texts by using Republic Anywhere as your default texting app. You can read more about Anywhere at the following link:

1 Like

Thank you very much! I managed to recover the last 30 days of texts. I thought google synced all contacts, and was hoping not to have to remember those. I just synced my contacts.

1 Like

Hi @sunild.v8ceg8,
You might find this app useful in the future. Many of us here in the Community recommend it to back up and restore your text and MMS messages. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer