Phone unmutes and microphone stops working

I have a Moto G fast. My phone often comes unmuted when I am on a conference call. I cannot figure out why this happens. I have some other posts that say this happens to them when switching from Wifi to data. That may be happening to me, but it’s not clear that’s the issue, since this happens even when I’m sitting three feet from my router.

I’ve also noticed that when my phone unmutes, my microphone also seems to stop working and no one can hear me.

And since I’m on my soapbox, I also frequently find that the person on the other end of the call can barely hear me, unless I switch to speaker mode, or switch to speaker and come back to “normal” mode.

All of these things have made conference calls pretty difficult. Luckily, I don’t have to talk on conference calls that often.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryce

Could you watch the screen to see if the call is changing from WiFi to cell?

You can also put the phone on cell before beginning the call (or in airplane mode with WiFi enabled) to prevent it from switching.

I’m not understanding this part of your description. How is the unmuting happening? What are you seeing that lets you know the mic is no longer muted? (Yet, in practice it seems to be muted.)

Is there any difference when the call is on cell?

1 Like

"Could you watch the screen to see if the call is changing from WiFi to cell?

You can also put the phone on cell before beginning the call (or in airplane mode with WiFi enabled) to prevent it from switching."

I will try to watch the screen. I will also place my phone in one of the modes you mention. Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if Republic is aware of and working to fix this issue? I’ve seen other people with the same phone mention similar issues on this forum.

“when my phone unmutes, my microphone also seems to stop working and no one can hear me.”

I see that the mute icon becomes “de-selected” but when I try to talk, nobody can hear me.

“Is there any difference when the call is on cell?”

I am not sure. I’m often not on cell now because I’m at home so often. However when I made more cell calls, this would often be a problem unless I was on speaker phone or used headphones. I had a regular Moto phone then (not the “Fast” version).

Message an
Expert customer