Phone will not use work wifi for calls

wifi

What phone do you have? - Moto E4 Plus
**What plan are you on? - ** My Choice + 4 GB of data

I can make calls and use data on my home WiFi, but when I’m connected to my work WiFi the RW icon is outlined and I have a message saying "calls and network over cell, WiFi data. I turned the phone on an off, toggled airplane mode, dialed the VOIP number and nothing has changed.

I don’t have cell service so I’m unable to make any calls, but text messages are going through. When I try to call I get a notification saying “cellular network not available for voice calls.”

Many corporate IT departments block the TCP/IP ports necessary for VoIP communications. That’s likely the case for you, but you could always ask your IT department.

The fact that it works at home, but not work is a very telling sign that your work wifi blocks the ports that are needed for wifi calling. This is fairly common with corporate networks. There is likely nothing on your/Republic’s end that can be done if this is a configuration issue your IT department has made.

Thank you, I’ll check with our IT department.

You might open a Republic Wireless help ticket to see if there is a solution for better cellular reception in your area. Many Republic Wireless phones can be provisioned for either Sprint or T-Mobile cellular service. One of those may be better than the other in your area.

The ports required for WiFi to work with Republic are included in WiFi 1st - Maximize your WiFi/Router - Community Guide
and can be found under a heading "Open Access - Required Ports & Protocol"
This section of the guide was developed through a collaborative effort of RW Staff, RW users, University and private business IT personnel.
You may want to run it by your IT go to person.

I checked with out IT department and they said they don’t block anything related to VoIP, our work phones are VoIP. Does it mean anything that I can send text messages but not make calls?

From @jben link:

Open Access - Required Ports & Protocol
Your Router (home, school or business) or ISP must not block outbound traffic (from your phone) destined to the following ports:

5090 UDP which is used for call set up
6000-29999 UDP which is used for voice/audio
443 MQTT which is used for Voicemail, Messaging SMS/MMS and keep-alive messages to RW servers. (some 2.0 Phones will continue to use 8883 until a config refresh ##8647## is done, and the DEFY will continue to use 8883)
NOTE: Most firewalls are stateful, meaning they allow two-way communication as long as it is initiated by a client (phone) that is inside the router’s network. This could be your home, school or office router/firewall
Republic phones will always send the initial voice/audio data packet to a destination port of 6000-29999 (regardless of who placed the call)

Note: A 3rd party site provides the ability to test that the outgoing port is open, by use of the following links. You would run these from the browser on your phone
http://portquiz.net:5090 — UDP Call set up
http://portquiz.net:6543 — 6000-29999 UDP for voice/audio, full range may be used, single test port should suffice

The reason you can text, the required port is open

443 MQTT which is used for Voicemail, Messaging SMS/MMS and keep-alive messages to RW servers.

I would suggest that you run the other two test to see what results, (note the link goes to a 3rd party server that is in France, so results are not 100% positive)

Both test came back with the result - “your network allows you to use this port”.

Yeah, that’s what I get when I do the test at my workplace. I still can’t use Republic Wireless over work Wi-Fi, however (our network does traffic filtering which prevents most VoIP solutions from being used).

The IT person I spoke with said our in-office phones use VoIP which makes me wonder why my RW phone can’t use the WiFi.

Our office phones are VoIP also. That doesn’t mean anyone elses VoIP traffic will be allowed. I do have some success using a VPN over TCP, but it’s not ideal.

Do you happen to have a vendor or guest network at your workplace? Many times those networks are less restrictive.

As noted in the reference, Republic uses port 5090 for the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) registration, this differs from others that normally use 5060/61

4 posts were split to a new topic: Phone works on on Wi-Fi, no cellular network connection

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.