Pictures are being altered when I view them?

What phone do you have?
Moto G6
What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Issue Description

I’ve been documenting some equipment at work and often have to take a picture of text in an under-lit area (product ID tags in an electrical cabinet) and I’m having some serious issues with the images. I use Android Camera (7.2.27.6) with the flash set to auto or on. The image that shows on the screen during the image capture is correctly lit and in focus. The thumbnail next to the shutter button looks like the brief preview. When I go to view the images, it briefly comes up the way it looked on screen, but then immediately becomes completely unreadable. It’s like the exposure changes from when it was taken to when I viewed it. I can’t get a screen shot of it, otherwise I’d show the direct comparison. Here’s a simulated image of what happens. The image originally looks like the left but then after a second looks like the right.

Am I missing something here? Why does it look fine at first but then get completely washed out? I’ve tried some different settings on the camera but none of them do anything to stop it from happening.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have HDR turned on? High-dynamic-range image processing usually takes a little while to occur. If you don’t like it, try turning HDR off.

Using the camera - moto g6

Hi cbwahlstrom,

I’m looking at my phone now and it’s currently off. I did try changing the setting for that but don’t recall it making any significant difference. I’ll try again next week and see if it helps.

Thanks!

Try turning the flash off.

I’ve been documenting some equipment at work and often have to take a picture of text in an under-lit area (product ID tags in an electrical cabinet) and I’m having some serious issues with the images.

That’s not an option because I’m taking pictures inside of an unlit cabinet, often at a weird angle. If there was enough light to not use the flash, that would have been my first fix.

The specific problem I’m having is that the images look fine with the flash on until I view them. There’s definitely some kind of post-processing happening here because it takes a second for the image to change the first time I view it.

Try reducing the brightness…when you long press the auto-focus green circle you can slide the brightness circle to manually adjust the brightness (that’s how it does it on my Moto X Pure hopefully it does the same on the G6 camera.)

When you say the images look fine with the flash on, do you mean looking in the viewfinder before you hit the shutter button or actually after you’ve hit the shutter? If before then this is completely normal as that preview image has nothing at all to do with the final result. It’s a bit like looking through the viewfinder of an older camera and then getting different results when you actually get your pictures. In the preview image the camera has done nothing at all. It hasn’t set a shutter speed, it hasn’t set the F-Stop, it hasn’t fired the flash at full brightness. What is happening is that the labels you’re taking pictures of are highly reflective, but the cabinet itself is dark. The camera is using the overall metering for the cabinet to set everything and therefore the flash intensity is too high, causing overexposure of the label, the only thing you care about.

TL;DR: I think what you’re seeing is normal. Try tapping on the label in the preview before taking the photo as that might force the camera to expose the picture for only the label and ignore the rest of the dark cabinet.